Lost Treasures

Hermione was getting bored.

She had been sitting there alone for about two minutes. She didn't want to stay in the Malfoy Manor. There was too many bad memories in its walls.

She placed her now cold tea on the table and slipped the S.P.E.W. badge into her pocket. She got up and went to the big arch windows.

The manor was falling apart. Without the house elves the house was literally on it's last breath. It was also overwhelmingly empty. Not a sound echoed its halls. Not a soul moved. Everything was still. So silent and frozen.

"I'm back."

Hermione jumped at Draco's voice breaking the stillness. His eyes looked slightly reddened.

She turned back to gazing out the window.

"It's so empty," Draco said, coming beside her, looking out at the overgrown yard. It was filled with brambles and thistles. "It's completely fallen apart."

"Somethings are meant to end. Maybe it's just its time," Hermione said. She was surprised at herself for being so friendly.

Draco nodded, "Yes. Although I won't say I didn't try to save it," He walked back into the room, "I tried spells and hexes. None worked. I searched libraries and old shops hoping to find a remedy. Nothing would stop this blasted build from coming apart. And then I got truly desperate," He turned to Hermione, smiling, "I actually picked up a broom and tried to sweep."

Hermione smirked and said sarcastically,"How did it go for you?"

Draco chuckled, "Not well! Do you know how much physical exertion goes into moving dirt from one spot to another?" He badly pantomimed sweeping the floor.

He panted, "To much work in my mind. I tried other things like dusting- nearly died choking, Cleaning the windows- nearly drowned myself in muggle cleaning solution, I don't even want to mention the garden." He walked over to Hermione, "Never. Never. Never try to pull magical weeds without magic. I was nearly pulled underground. To think I could be six feet deep right now at the hands- excuse me- at the tendrils of evil brambles!"

Hermione chuckled but stopped immediately.

An awkward pause followed.

"Well," Hermione strode across the room. She tried to think of something to say. She could not believe she was actually trying to have a real conversation with Draco Malfoy. She had hated him two minutes ago. Why on earth had she laughed and why was she talking to him? "Those are some adventures trying to keep this house."

"Yes. Most of them quite terrifying," Draco said.

Hermione nodded, "Well, um, did you have any help in your quests?"

Draco's smile dropped off his face.

"Oh," Hermione straightened up sensing she had touched a bitter subject, "I'm sorry. I shouldn't-"

"Don't apologize. Please," Draco smiled hiding his fallen face, but his eyes were still sad, "You never have to apologize to me, Hermione. Never."

Hermione blinked, surprised.

"It's just," He smiled brightly again, "I'm in charge of the entire Malfoy estate. Everything."

Hermione frowned, "Where's Lucius and Narcissa?"

"My parents have been at the Ministry. They are going through the court- they're facing war charges."

Hermione felt no saddness by this announcement. In fact she felt as if they deserved to suffer some.