Blindsided

"I truly, fucking hate you

"I truly, fucking hate you." I bite at Max as we stand together covered in a layer of sweat and awaiting the elevator. We've been playing far too long at this point and real life is calling. Even though I lost, it was so nice spending time with him. It's nice that we're at least finding a normal... a way to be friends.

"Do you hate me or do you hate yourself for missing the last ball?" He asks in rebuttal with a small smile of victory.

"I called a time out, you cheater." He hasn't admitted but I swear he heard me. "My shoe lace as undone!"

"That's bullshit and you know it." Max huffs.

I swear, it's as if our lives were meant to be so broken that we'd fit together as seamlessly as we do now, even when we argue over petty time outs on the court it feels so... easy.

So right.

So how can it be so wrong?

"In your fucking dreams." I cross my arms, forcing my lips not to smile.

Max shuffles his feet, a sign I have learned that means he's a bit on edge "I've missed playing with you."

Just like that, the mood shifts. My heart in my throat I can't stand to meet his eyes that haunt my dreams, "We haven't played together in a long time now."

"It's been killing me." He barely whispers, blue eyes burning into the side of my face.

A blush rises as my head turns unable to avoid the magnetic force between us for too long. "You've barely spoken with me." Words are one thing, actions are another.

"I wanted to, you left early last night." Saved by the bell our lift dings to signal it is near arrival.

He's had a thousand other chances to talk to me this week besides last nights party, so that's a bullshit response and we both know it. Still last night is not something I feel up to discussing with him. Not now, possibly not ever so with a strain in my voice I attempt to side step the topic all together. "Yes."

"I couldn't hardly sleep last night for missing you." My eyes whipping to meet his as the door in front of us opens, the closes without the patience to wait for what is happening between us.

He misses me.

At Ella's party I could see it in his eyes just as clearly as I read it now. "Max..." My voice cracks with the knowledge if he asked me to take it all back, I would. If he asked me to stay, I would. If he asked me to erase Japan and be his again, I would. The blue in his eyes is almost cruel.

My heart aches for him.

"So I went to your room." My heart nearly stops as we both realize what comes next without the words having to even be said between us. He went to my room, and I wasn't there.