Chapter XIV - Judging Others Makes Us Blind, Whereas Love Is Illuminating

Začít od začátku

Ichinose talking about me? What ever she must've said is probably incorrect. I don't have a clear way of knowing exactly how she sees me but it gave Matsushita a wrong impression of me, I just hope that whatever she said, doesn't come back to take a bite of me later. As for the matter of her birthday, I'm going to guess that the party is most likely consistent of the opposite sex. I'm going to stick out like sore thumb so need to find someway of getting out.

"I don't see that happening," I replied.

"Sigh, I don't get what she finds so interesting about you," Matsushita said, muttering under her breath.

"What was that?"

"H-Huh? Uh, nothing. Anyways, do you wanna come?"

"I'm good, thanks."

Looking at her again, she's not pleased with my answer. If I know where this is going, there's a high possibility they're going to try everything possible to get me to change my mind.

"Oh, that's too bad, Ayanokouji-kun. I suppose I'll have to tell everyone that I failed to invite you, and that you didn't want to come to Honami-san's birthday."

This tactic is oddly familiar. Never mind that, she's playing dirty. Ichinose's popularity made her rise above everyone else, if I were known to be someone she cared about deeply in someway and that I didn't want to come to her birthday, then it'll be detrimental to my own reputation. Not that I care, but, it'll be inconvenient and I'm probably going to be hated by some people.

Anyhow, I experienced this underhanded method by Ichinose already when she invited me before. There's no point in arguing so I'll have to accept this invitation.

"Then that case, I'll go." I said.

"Wow, really?"

"Are you surprised?"

"In a way, I just thought that Ayanokouji-kun would put up more of a fight, you know?" Matsushita voiced.

"I'm not in the mood to argue right now, I'll go reluctantly."

"Reluctantly? I don't think you should feel that way towards your lover's birthday party."

The nonsense she's baffling on about now is confusing to me. I wouldn't say the term 'lover' is befitting, something more along the lines of 'close acquaintance' or 'friends'.

"Ah, forget that last part Ayanokouji-kun. I gotta go! Later!" said Matsushita, looking down at her phone.

And so, Matsushita had left but not before saying one more thing to me.

"Oh, yeah! Don't forget to get her a gift, 'kay?"

A gift. I've never given anyone a gift. The amount of money I had spent over the past few months have been minimal due to our class point total which means I have a considerable budget to work with. The issue isn't the private points I have though, but rather, what sort of gift should I be giving to someone like Ichinose?

I didn't spend enough time with her to understand her interests, nor do I care to at this point in time. Whenever I talk to her, she's been looking at different directions, almost as if they're intentionally avoiding eye contact. Not only that, Ichinose's been giving off a different scent too. Her decision to start wearing a citrusy perfume is obscure to me, but maybe, that's just how she is.

In any event, I have time now. I wanted to get this gift thing over with quickly so I made my way to Keyaki Mall.

When I got there, the earlier thought I had came back. I don't know the proper gift to get a girl. I could perhaps ask someone but I have too much pride to do something like that. The other option is asking Horikita but her tastes are.. how should I put it? They're probably different than your typical high school girl. Then again, Ichinose doesn't seem to be the average high school girl either.