The First Steps

Začať od začiatku

Darren carefully took the baby into his arms, their son, who, while unexpected, changed his entire world.

~present~

"Dad," Darren snapped out of his daydreaming and looked at Nan.

"Yes"

"You keep going into a haze."

"Oh, sorry, I've been thinking about the past a lot lately, it seems," Nan sighed.

"Is this about mom again? You know she doesn't hate you. I don't know why you don't reach out" Darren patted Nan's head affectionately.

"The adult world is complicated, Nan. It's not as simple as it may look from your point of view. Don't worry. Your dads not going to fall into a deep state of disassociation tonight" Nan crossed his arms, the look on his face showing he didn't believe a word his father was saying.

"I think you should reach out to mom if you're so worried about it. I mean, when was the last time I got to visit my half-siblings anyways? You're too scared to go over there half the time."

"I told you, Nan, it's complicated"

"What's complicated is you constantly keeping secrets and being terrified of the guy upstairs!" Darren quickly covered his son's mouth.

"That man is not to be toyed with. Yes, I am afraid of him, and I have a reason to be afraid of him because in the blink of an eye, either one of us could die, and I'm not risking losing you, my son" Nan could hear the panic in his father's voice and started to feel bad. He always thought his father was just a coward to an extent. He watched as Darren slowly moved his hand away.

"Sorry, father, I'm not trying to get us into trouble."

"It's alright, but please, I'm only doing this for us to keep us both on the safe side" Nan nodded and left the lab. Darren leaned back on the counter, unsure what to do. His son hadn't seen his mother since he was seven and was obviously going to question things. If William weren't constantly keeping an eye on him, he'd allow Nan to see Nora, but in order to try and protect her, he had to keep them away.

If William knew exactly where Atlas was hiding, the consequences would be severe. William held a grudge against his son for a multitude of reasons, one of those reasons being that Atlas refused to take over being the Mafia King and instead ran off into the night. The last thing Darren wanted was for anything to happen to Nora. Even tho they aren't together anymore. He loves her to pieces.

Darren took a moment to think to himself, going over the ages of all of Nora's children, when it suddenly hit him. Nicolette, her oldest child, would most likely unlock her powers soon, which would explain why William was so insistent on controlling her. Only Darren could sense the energy that hid deep within Nicolette. If overused, it would definitely kill her. He grabbed a pencil and paper and started writing a letter.

Nicolette followed slowly behind Ein as a tingling, burning sensation grew in her arm. She couldn't understand what was happening to her. She froze in her tracks, looking around as it sounded like a voice was trying to be heard over the sound of refugees talking. A voice that only she could hear. Ein's concern grew seeing the change in Nicolette's aura and behavior. He wanted to find a way to put her at ease and figure out how to control this new ability that popped up.

"Nicolette? Ein? What are you doing out by yourselves?" It was Nora Nicolette's mother.

"Sorry, Mrs. Lyiora, we're just hanging out," Nora cocked her head, not entirely believing Ein's explanation.

"Hanging out? Where are your friends? I hardly see you guys separated" Ein's slowly started to panic, trying to think of an excuse.

"Uh, well, they had their own things to do today! We do that occasionally" Ein held his breath, hoping she would believe him. Nora looked at them for a moment longer before accepting the answer.

"Don't stay out too late. There will be a gathering in the plaza tonight for a celebration" Ein nodded.

"Yes, Mrs. Lyiora" They watched as Nora left the scene and sighed in relief.

"I never dare to lie to my mother. How did you not crack?" Nicolette asked.

"I was about to, but that's not what's important. There's no way we can find what we're looking for like this, especially with the celebration going on. Our parents will get suspicious. Your mom almost called my bluff" It seemed like the world was against them.

"FUCK" Nicolette jumped. She hadn't heard Ein curse before.

"What the hell!?" They both froze again. Niko was standing nearby.

"Uh, hey Niko," Ein hated his older brother but buried his hatred.

"What the hell are you two doing."

"Nothing!" Ein panicked as his voice cracked. Niko's eyes narrowed.

"You're lying."

"Am not," another voice crack. Ein wanted to punch himself, but that would be weird.

"I'm not an idiot. I know sneaking around and lying when I see it. You're up to something."

"Ok, fine, we are doing something, but it's none of your business!" Ein blurted out.

"I want in" Nicolette and Ein looked at each other in surprise. Neither of them knew Niko's motives or intentions, and he would most likely snitch if they didn't let him join in.

"First things first," Nicolette fixed her hairpin, "we're going to the celebration, or my mom will watch me like a hawk for the next 15 years" She wasn't entirely lying the last time she didn't show up to an event she was glued to her mother's side for four months straight.

"I can accept that," Niko agreed rather suddenly, but she wasn't going to complain.

"It's settled then? We're really attending this event?" Ein was worried about Nicolette. What if something happened at the event and everyone found out? Nicolette booped his nose.

"I'll be fine, Wolfie. What's one little event going to do?" Ein nodded and smiled. If his flower wanted to attend the event, he would also go. So the three of them headed to the plaza together as the sun began to set.

"YOU WORTHLESS WOMAN," William shoved Nora to the ground. His irritation only continued to grow as Nora refused to give him any information on Nicolette.

"You will learn nothing of my daughter," she coughed as blood spilled from her mouth. William wanted to kill this woman but had to hold back. He sat down and composed himself.

"Let's not make this complicated, Nora. You really want to test my patience like this?" His voice hinted at possible consequences if she didn't give in. Nora stood her ground and glared at William, not breaking eye contact. William sighed, disappointed. "Such a shame. I guess I'll have to handle this myself. Nora had no idea what he met, but if what Atlas said was true, it couldn't mean anything good. One of William's men entered the room.

"Sir, we've located the girl."

"Wonderful! See Nora, or should I call you Ms. Young? After all, the title of Lyiora is only awarded to those worthy of such a title, not a woman who used to do traditional dancing back in her home country. honestly, what was my son thinking marrying a Korean woman?" William grabbed a handle of her hair, forcing her up on her knees.

Nora grimaced in pain, much to William's delight. "You'll never be able to follow through with your plans, William! You may be able to kill me, but I'll fight till my last breath" William laughed out of pure amusement at her determination.

"Now, this is what I'm looking for! A mother's will to protect her child no matter the cost. Melody was a fool. She didn't have a hint of a mother's instinct, quite sad if you ask me," Melody? That was Atlas's mother. Nora and Atlas only had one conversation about her, but it abruptly ended cause Atlas could hardly keep his composure.

"No matter what you do to me, karma will come back and bite you ten times worse" William grinned.

"I'm looking forward to it" he was able to break into Stitem's security easily. He looked forward to seeing what the residents of Stitem could possibly do to stop him.