Chapter four

The normal silence at the kitchen table seemed to be worse today. Dad still didn't like to acknowledge Marcus after his coming out so he only said good morning to my Mum and I. This didn't go unnoticed by my mum who gave him a disapproving look but I could sense the strain in her smile as she was trying to lighten the mood asking about our plans for the day and week. Although throughout breakfast, Dad just sat down with his coffee and newspaper not giving us the time of day.

***

The sound of a car horn outside meant that April's Mum was ready to pick me up. To be honest I'm already half excited to be seventeen so I can learn how to drive. Afterall it is only a little over a year away. My sixteenth birthday is in December so it's nearly a year away. It seems weird the thought of being sixteen part of me thought that I'd never get there. It just seemed so far away but once I've turned sixteen it's only two years until my freedom.

Picking up my denim jacket I ran out the door quickly throwing it on top of my school blazer. The reason why I have my denim jacket as well as an extra bag is because Tess has invited us to a sleepover tonight. She probably has the only parents who don't care that it's a school night. My mum didn't seem to mind me going because she'd be home late tonight as well as my dad so that's one less child to worry about. Marcus asked if he could sleep over at a friends too but my dad quickly shut the idea of that down saying that he couldn't trust Marcus after him coming out and that if he goes round any of his friends houses he needs to ask dad first and that he can't be round there for the whole day like he used to. It makes me feel guilty that I didn't say anything although there is not much I could do without getting too heated and outing myself. I feel selfish not being out after everything that Marcus is going through but I don't want the same to happen to me and dad has been annoyed enough with Marcus I don't even want to thaom what he'd say to me.

***

The first three lessons went by quickly considering it's a boring school day. My planner consisted of:

-Maths (Which was awful but I managed to daydream about the sleepover so it didn't seem as long as usual plus the teacher didn't seem to care either that or they didn't notice me)

-English (As always I love English but that's just because i have an awesome teacher who always makes the lessons upbeat and fun)

-Physics (Which is the bane of my existence I hate it with a passion)

And next, I have Art. Although I love Art I sometimes question my sanity of becoming an Art student, there's so much work. Despite this I would argue with anyone that English and Art are the best subjects.

***

My friends and I were sitting around our table and eating Lunch when Blair's friends came over. As they come further towards us my stomach lurches in worry. They loom over us looking intimidating as always. Blair is just glaring at us but looks more uncomfortable compared to the other girls.

"Hey losers," Blair's friends scoffed in unison.

"Hey, you should really stop talking to yourselves like that," Tess replied smugly.

"That was cringy as fuck," I snickered looking at Tess wondering why she said a primary school comeback.

"Do you like strawberries?" Blair asked, looking more uncomfortable by the second. Glancing at her other friends they were all giggling to themselves pushing Blair to go further.

We all looked at her confused until one of her friends came up behind Tess and April with a beverage in hand. I tried to move out of the way before the inevitable happened but I suddenly felt glued to my seat.

"Three. Two. One!" All the girls shrieked in unison.

Suddenly I felt something on my head with pink liquid dripping down from my strands of hair. The aroma of strawberries fills my nostrils making me feel nauseous.