Chapter Five

Gianna smiled while watching Lucky and Snow attack Donte with licks to his face

Gianna smiled while watching Lucky and Snow attack Donte with licks to his face. He let out a laugh, taking them like a champ as he lay in the grass. Gianna was amused by how small Snow looked in comparison to the golden retriever.

For the past hour, she and Donte had been playing with their pets, while conversing in between. Donte was a very persistent man when it came to getting to know every little detail about her, and she was getting comfortable the more they spoke.

"I admire how well-trained Lucky is. How long have you had him?" Gianna inquired after the excitement had settled down.

"Since twenty-eighteen. He was well trained when I got him so it was a bit easier to keep him tame." He replied, "How 'bout you? How long have you had the white furry menace?"

"Okay, don't do my baby like that." She joked and the two of them laughed, "and I've had her for little over a year. In preparation for opening the clinic, we were doing a lot of retreats at shelters and Snow caught my eye. I was attached at first sight so I just had to adopt her."

"Interesting. Retreats...you do that a lot?"

"No, but we actually have a very big one coming up in October so I guess this is the perfect time to tell you about it. We want to raise five hundred thousand dollars to support small shelters in poverty struck areas in Nigeria."

Donte cocked a brow, intrigued by her words. Frankly, the whole retreat was her idea and she had been planning it all year so, to say the least, Gianna was very excited yet anxious about it.

"And why Nigeria?"

"That's my parents' homeland. I've only been there once and I saw just how many stray dogs were in the streets, looking like they were on their last lap of life. I was fifteen and it made me want to become a vet even more." She shrugged, "I know the lack of animal care is the least of all the problems there, but it wouldn't hurt to be able to make even the slightest change."

"I love that. You get more interesting the more I talk to you."

She blushed, rubbing her hand over her bare thigh. "Back to what I was saying...we're almost halfway to the target amount so anything you have is very appreciated."

It felt natural talking to Donte about the retreat because it was her job and she had been getting people to donate over the past few months. She loved animals and vowed to always keep them safe, taken care of, and sheltered—no matter where they were. Outside of going to charities and doing donations herself, this retreat in Nigeria was the biggest and hopefully would be the most impactful one in her career so far.

"Yeah, I got you. Text me the details."

She beamed, "I will. Thank you, Donte."

"No problem." His eyes remained on her for a moment and he drew his bottom lip between his teeth. Gianna was looking at the playing dogs to even notice. "Can I ask when your last relationship was?"