Prologue

With a sigh, Gianna slipped off her blue gloves and discarded them in her office bin

With a sigh, Gianna slipped off her blue gloves and discarded them in her office bin. "Remind me again whose idea it was to have a twenty-four hours vet clinic." She huffed, grabbing her hot pink hydro-flask to take a swig of water.

"Your father wanted to be different," Giselle replied as if he wasn't her father as well. "You're the one who chose to take the night shift on your birthday, Gigi."

"Yeah, I don't know what I was thinking scheduling that."

It was nine at night and Gianna had just finished two bulldogs checkups back to back. Her father had opened a new vet clinic in San Francisco eight months and she decided that it would be best if she worked there. She moved to a decent place close by and the money was good.

She grew up in a family of well-known doctors. Her father was the chief of the largest hospital in Washington, and her mother was a well-renounced dermatologist in her field of work. Her oldest brother, Joshua, just finished his residency and was officially a licensed neurosurgeon and his twin brother—her brother—Jahiem, was an oncologist. They both worked in Washington with their parents.

As for her older sister, Giselle, she was a licensed Psychiatrist who had been working at a hospital in Seattle for the past two years. Gianna, the youngest of them all, studied and trained to become the veterinarian she was. She was the only member of her family who wanted to treat animals and that somewhat sparked her father's interest.

He did some studies and learned that a lot of animal lovers lived in generally overpopulated places, like LA and New York—so he built small clinics there first. Those soon skyrocketed into popularity and success, so he built more. As stated, his latest one was located in San Francisco. It was quite a surprise that Gianna said she would help run that one.

Only because it was so far from home. Still, they let her pack up and move there.

Living alone was a bit scary at times, but it was therapeutic for a woman like herself. She liked the peace and being by herself.

"You could close early. It's your birthday, Gigi. You've been working all week." Giselle advised through the FaceTime call they were on. "Go out or something."

"That would require having friends."

"Go out and find friends then. Working yourself to death isn't worth it in the long run, sis, trust me." 

Gianna just simply waved her off. She'd only ever had one friend in her life, and that friend ended up being Jahiem's wife. She was the best friend she'd ever had, but it felt like a level of trust was broken when she found out they were secretly dating. It felt as though that girl was only friends with her to get closer to her brother.

Still, she let that slide and continued with her life.

"Okay. Well, I have an appointment in ten minutes so I have to get ready. I'll call you later."