----+------+----

Valentine lived a long life, but now that the end was near, it felt too short. He'd outlived Wesley by years, but that void, though always present, was partially filled by the presence of his, child, grandchildren, and great grandchildren.

The newest great granddaughter, only a few days old now, was named for him: Valeria. Like him, she had black hair and a black tail. Her eyes, though, were the same brilliant gold that carried through much of the family.

He was glad he lived long enough to meet her, but now, he could feel the icy breath of death breathing down his neck. He could feel time growing slower, and it seemed his family could feel it too. They gathered around him as he approached his eternal slumber.

Valentine remembered his time in hell vividly, and though he knew it was very possible that he was heading back to it, he didn't feel afraid. He had so many good memories to hold on to, and he had very few regrets to weigh him down.

He was ready.

"I love you, Papa," Waverly held his frail hand between hers. Beneath the waves, it was everything but the tears that told him she was crying.

"I love you too, princess," he said, despite the fact that she was a queen.

And then everything was fading.

He expected a darkness, like the first time. Instead his view of beautiful golden eyes bled to white. He felt like he was floating in a balmy sea made of ethereal light. It was warm and comfortable. Peaceful.

He closed his eyes and inhaled the familiar scent of the sea. He heard the gentle lapping of melodic waves forming foamy crests and collapsing again and again.

The light against his eyelids dimmed calmly, and when he opened his eyes, the sight that greeted him was a fluffy white cloud partially sheltering a warm midday sun.

Valentine looked down to see he was on the deck of a ship. His boots were a dark leather and a quick view of his hands revealed younger skin.

Clenching his fingers into a first, Valentine confirmed that they did indeed belong to him.

He looked ahead of himself, toward the taffrail of the ship, and found the billowing back of a cream colored shirt. It was tucked into a pair of brown trousers that led down to even darker brown boots. The man's hair was brown too, though as the sun caught it, it glowed like embers in a fire. He knew it anywhere.

Valentine's feet compelled him forward, and soon, he was standing beside the figure, staring out at an endless expanse of waves.

"Took you long enough," Wesley's voice drifted to him, a playfulness in his tone.

Valentine's lavender gaze twisted to meet a familiar blue. The man looked young and unburdened. He was happy and free in a way Valentine had never seen him be.

"Sorry," his voice cracked with the realization that Wesley was in front of him again. This didn't feel like hell did, but if it was a trick, it was bound to be the cruelest of them.

Wesley came closer and slipped his hand into the pirate's.

"I almost forgot what you looked like with a tricorn," the merchant mused, knocking the black leather hat upward slightly with his knuckle.

Valentine hadn't realized he was wearing one.

"Is this real?" Valentine asked softly.

Wesley shrugged. "I don't know. But it feels real." As if to demonstrate, he moved closer and connected his lips to his lover's. "And I'm happy, so it doesn't really matter, does it?"

Valentine nodded. It didn't matter. As long as he had Wesley, nothing else did.

"I'm glad you're here now," the merchant smiled. "I missed you."

"I missed you, too," Valentine agreed.

Wesley placed his hands on either side of Valentine's face and looked at him fully.

"Come," he said. "I think it's time for you to meet my mother and sister."

And Valentine did.

Fin.

----+------+----

A/N

Ah, the end of an era.

That's the end of Dark Waters Rising. I hope you enjoyed it.

Obligatory end of book questions:

1.) What was your favorite part?

2.) Who was your favorite character?

5.) What is the airspeed velocity of an unladen swallow?

Thank you so much for joining me on this journey. Please consider checking out my other stories!

Until next time,
-Mora Montgomery