A handful of elders, too old to work the fields or the river—though they didn't appear much older than some who were doing so—sat in the shade of an old oak near the village's entrance, drinking, smoking and talking. The youngest of their number looked up and gave Karux a gap-toothed smile as the three neared.

"Welcome, strangers, to Korion Iscuron. If you be of good will, tell us your names, from where you come and to where you're going and how we may help you on your way."

Garanth's father halted and leaned on his staff. "My name is Karux. I come from Har-Tor."

The elders glanced at the clear stone, which hung from Karux' neck on a braid of human hair. Surprise and awe rippled through their expressions, but for the most part, their faces compressed into narrow lines of suspicion and disapproval.

"Greetings, Oracle," said the first speaker. "What word do you have for us? I hope it is a good one."

Karux shrugged. "The words I have are the words that are. Whether they are good or not is, in large part, up to you."

The speaker rose, a strained smile on his face. "And what would you ask of us?"

"I seek aid in lifting the curse from the land."

Another elder rose quickly, his tone polite though indignation trembled through his small tense frame. "Our men left with The Hunter during your conflict with the oracle of the south. Very few came back."

"It is not your men I wish to see. It is your children."

"Our children?"

"You would take our children, arm them and make them fight for you?" an elder in the back of the group cried out before his outrage choked him to silence.

"No. At least," Karux paused thoughtfully, "the fight is not with weapons made by man, but with the mind."

"What are you talking about?" The eldest of the elders demanded. "Speak more clearly."

"Before I killed him, the oracle of the south gave the spirits of the land over to the n'kroi."

The elders shuddered and made warding gestures at the mention of the spirits of the Void.

"The elementals are being consumed. The land is dying." Karux looked past the elders at the villagers going about their business. "I am seeking out the brightest and most clever children in the land in the hope that I might be able to teach a few my..., er, craft."

The elders glanced at Garanth who blushed. His father had tried to teach him the craft, but he had never managed the trick of perception that would allow him to see the world's true shape. He glanced down at Eiraena crouching in the dust, running it through her hand. She rocking back and forth, muttering strange guttural nonsense. He knew the elders would never believe him if he were to tell them that she had taught Karux the secrets of karis.

"And what craft is that?" the leader of the elders asked suspiciously.

"The names and shapes of the elements. I would teach them to your children so that they may help defend the land and stop the blight."

"You speak of the poles with the carvings, which you put in the fields?" the gap-toothed elder asked.

"That is a part of it, yes."

The eldest gave a low and knowing chuckle. "Perhaps you should see how well your craft works before you seek to teach it to others."

"Why? What do you mean?"

"Only that you should make certain it is worth teaching, before you presume to teach it."

"Show me."