Chapter Four

Karux woke in his father's house. His aunt and uncle had moved him back as soon as he was able to stand and walk with assistance. They never said anything, but he knew they were tired of being awakened during the night and early morning hours by his screaming. The nightmare visions of death and destruction had continued since he first saw the stone, this being the first morning he had awakened peacefully. He lay on his pallet for a while enjoying the moment until his father rushed in to check on him.

"Er, how do you feel?" he asked confusion clearly written on his face.

"Fine," Karux smiled up at him, knowing his father must have been concerned about the strange silence, but enjoying it anyway. "I think I'll get up today."

"Are you certain you're well enough?"

"I'm tired of lying around," Karux groaned as he slowly rose to his feet. He reached for a shepherd's staff and leaned on it trying not to sway too much. "I need to speak with the elders."

"The elders? Why?"

"The visions. I remembered being on the mountain last night. I was shown a threat that will engulf all the lands between the ocean and the mountain. I must warn them."

A strange look of caution came over Arrain's face. "And what would you have them do?"

"We must gather all the tribes and prepare them for the conflict to come."

"All the tribes? Would you have them just leave their homes and go…go where? Come here?"

Karux tried to envision that conversation. It would not be easy to convince them, but when the disaster came, they would have to flee for their lives. A little planning could save a lot of lives. "We'd have to speak with their elders first, get them to understand the threat they face."

"What exactly is that threat?"

"I saw beasts that walked like men and everywhere they went, death and destruction follow."

"Are you sure they are real and not just phantoms from your dreams?"

Karux stared into his father's eyes, willing him to understand. "They will be real, and they will sweep over us like the wind."

Arrain paused thoughtfully. "You know I sit among the elders. I'll speak to them and see what they say."

Karux watched him leave, the doubt still clearly visible in his father's eyes. Karux knew Arrain would not be able to convince them. His father didn't fully believe it himself, so how could he convince those who might be too afraid to believe? He only hoped his father would not oppose him.

       -=====|==

An ancient oak grew near the village's entrance. It was the elders' custom to sit under that tree, drinking beer from a single large ceramic bowl with straws while talking to anyone coming or going from the village and discussing the issues of the day.

Karux shuffled forward, dragging one leg and leaning heavily on his staff. The elders normally ignored the youth around them when they gathered, but as Karux approached, they fell silent.

Ghett, the most senior of the elders, spoke first. "Greetings, young Karux. It is good to see you recovering. How do you feel today?"

"I am much better. Thank you, bidra, for your concern."

"Do you have something you wish to speak to us about?"

"I do." Karux glanced at his stiff-faced father who lowered his eyes in response. Karux could tell that he had already spoken to the others and he had not been believed. Karux knew he had to convince them somehow, he couldn't hold anything back. "I have a message from the Lord of the Mountain."