XVII

I walk up to my room and notice a lot has changed. My room is a lot more messy but smells really nice. Fancy clothes are scattered. Some, not quite as formal as others. Some, more of a street wear style. I fall onto my bed and sigh. Home sweet home. I'm glad Misch is fine. I hear the doorbell. I don't feel like getting up. Then my mom yells my name. "Noel! Ricky and Penny are here!" RICKY AND PENNY! I run downstairs as quick as possible. I throw my arms open and attack them with hugs. "Noel!!!" I hear Penny say. "I've missed you guys so much! What all has happened while I was gone?" I need to know the drama. "Besides the incident, not much. We'll tell you some more, just go upstairs." I nod to her response and follow.

After our teamwork to bring Ricky upstairs, we sit down on the bed and Penny wraps her arms around us both. "So, Ocean is in college, working to become a choir teacher. Constance has been working at her family's bakery. Mischa was supposed to go to college, but then the thing happened. I've been at a performing arts school." She explains everyone else's then Ricky signs, "I've been working backstage for different musicals." I smile and clap. "I'm proud of all of you!!" Now I realize I have to tell them what I'm doing. "So uhh... The club... I uhh..." They look confused. "I guess you could say I've been living my life as Monique?" Their jaws drop. "I ONLY DID IT FOR MONEY AND TO SEE MY FRIENDS THAT WORKED THERE." They smile at me. "We're happy you got to live your dream." Ricky signs. He hugs me first then Penny copies this action. After a few hours, we fall asleep on my bed.

The next day, I leave early to see Mischa. When I get there, I see Constance as well. "Noel!" She hugs me tightly. "Constance! How's the bakery? More importantly, how are you?" She smiles a bit. "Well, the bakery is fine, I've been feeling a bit lonely with Ocean gone for school. I manage though." Her smile starts to droop. I hold her face, "I'm proud of you. Just know Ocean is probably even more proud. How far is she anyway?" Her smile comes back. "Not super far. She is out of town though." I smile back at her. "You'll get to see her over her break, right?" She nods. I ask if Misch is awake and before she can nod, "Yes, I am." Constance turns around to reveal him sitting up. Constance looks at the clock and notices the time. "I have to go! Great seeing you again, Noel!" She runs out. I look back at Mischa and smile. "They gave me pain killers." I walk over and sit on the chair next to him. "Is that so?" He reaches his arms towards me and pulls me in for a hug. "Oh. That's why you said that." He laughs. "Mhm! It feels nice to touch you again." He thinks about what he just said. "That came out wrong!" I kiss him to stop his brain from freaking out, but by his face, it does the opposite. "When did they say you'd be able to go home?" Hopefully soon. "I think in a week or so if things keep progressing like this." I smile. "We're gonna have the best time when you're out!" I'm a lot more enthusiastic than I thought. "I promised myself I would make you the happiest man ever when you came back, so hopefully I can do so when I am up." I'm too busy staring into his eyes when he's speaking. "Huh?" He laughs. "Dumbass! You still fall for my eyes every time, don't you?" I hide my face. I mumble, "Maybe...".

Every day, I go to the hospital and he's been getting better. Soon enough, he's out. For some reason he insists I stay at the apartment while ma grabs him. I wonder why. I get ready, do my makeup, put on a nice outfit, and set up a date at a restaurant for tonight. I here a knock at the door and dash down the stairs to open it. As soon as it opens, I wrap my arms around him. "MON AMOUR!" He gently hugs me back and chuckles. "You look gorgeous!" I smile brightly. "Thank you!" I lead him upstairs and sit on the bed. "I have a surprise." I take his hand. "I made plans for a date tonight!!" He rubs the back of his neck in an awkward manner. "Love, I thank you for that, but I just got out of hospital. I need some rest." I stare blankly. "But you've rested so much at that place? Why would you need more?" His brows furrow. "Noel." I take the hint. "Sorry." He just breathes harshly and falls down to rest his head on the pillow. I cancel the plans. "We can watch a movie though." I look over. "Alright." He notices I'm disappointed, so he just gives me space as we watch Saw V. "So..." The tension is awkward. "This is not Saw V." I look at him. "Yes it is.". "No?" He gives me a "What is this shit?" face. "Dear, V means 'five' in Roman numerals." He looks clueless. "Oh. Then which one am I talking about?" I look at him. He knows I don't watch horror movies. "I don't know! Do you remember the letters?" He shakes his head. "How about your Blue Angel thingy? Do you want to watch that?" I look at him with hope. I hesitate and reply, "...Yes.".

"Good morning!" I just woke up, and right after I say that, I notice no one is next to me. "Mischa?" I call for him. I notice the silence of the apartment. No one's here. I get up and get dressed. I step out of the building. Looking around, I spot all of my friends across the street at the park, setting up some sort of party? They're rehearsing something? What in the world is going on? I run down the stairs and start walking across the street. "What are you guys doing?" Everyone panics when they hear my voice. Mischa is pushed forward, towards me. His face is red. "POET! HEY- I mean- uhh." I look him head to toe and notice he's in a very elegant outfit. "Hello?" I smile at him awkwardly. Ocean steps in front and hugs me. I hug her back because I haven't seen her in forever, but then I look over her shoulder. Mischa is fidgeting with a small, velvet, black box. I push her aside for a second. Mischa looks up at me. He then quickly puts the small box behind his back. "Uhm... What was that?" He freaks out. I have so many questions. Everyone begins to make up reasons to leave and finally it's just the two of us. It just stays silent. "Uhm... Please, walk with me." I do as he says.

He takes my hand while we're walking through the park. "Dear- uhm, Noel." Why'd he just switch his words? "I love you... Right?" I laugh a little. "You tell me, Misch." He laughs as well, trying to calm himself down. "I meant you know I love you, right?" I nod and smile. "I know that we have only been... uhm- together for two years, and most of that time was spent far apart. And you may not want to take up this offer..." I stop him. "HAVE WE NEEVR BEEN ON A DATE?" I know it. I'm not ready. But I don't wanna make it awkward if I say no. He sheepishly says, "Yes! That was the offer I was going to make... Definitely." No. Nope. It's not any better than me saying no. "Mischa. I'm sorry, I said that because I know what you're trying to lead up to. I didn't want to make it awkward by saying no, but... Darling, I think we need a few more years. Marriage just isn't on my mind right now." He looks at me, a little surprised. Slowly, his brows turn and now he has a sad face. "Let us go on that date." I smile at his answer. "Thank you.".