Chapter 60 - More Walls

This drive felt different

This drive felt different. Maybe it was because Minho wasn't on this adventure with us or because we were running toward WCKD instead of away from it. I tried not to think of the timer of my life but this is the last journey I have. The truth of it all is that a few days from now, they would travel across the sea to the safe haven. And I would still be here. Even if I managed to stay alive that long, I couldn't bring the sickness they were running from to their new home.

"Hey, don't get your hopes up. That checkpoint back there, that was the city's last defense. If that was overrun, chances are the city is, too." Jorge's warned us.

If the city was gone, then Minho would be more lost than we thought.

"Yeah, unless they figured out some other way to keep the Cranks out." I stared out the window at the hundred feet of cement that surrounded the shiniest buildings I had ever seen. It was a glimpse into the past. Of everything this world once had that I could never remember. Jorge slammed on the brakes skidding us to a stop. We all got out of the car, basking in the power of WCKD. "Funny... Spent three years trapped behind walls, trying to break out, and now we wanna break back in."

"Yeah. It's hilarious." Frypan grumbled.

"Jorge, how do we get in?" Thomas asked, his mind unwavering from Mission Minho. Regardless of the large show of force.

"Don't look at me, hermano. Those walls are new." Jorge sighed, "I guess that's WCKD's answer for everything."

"Well, we ain't gonna figure it out from up here." Brenda welcome the challenge as she got back into the bed of the truck. "Let's go!"

Sonya rounded the car, opening the passenger side door. I corrected that idea quickly. "No chance, I get shotgun."

"Bummer." Sonya hopped in the front and shut the door, flipping the small lock.

Fiona chuckled and shook her head.

"You really think he's in there?" I wondered. There were dozens of skyscrapers. This would be another maze in need of solving. It could take weeks, weeks that Minho would be tortured and used for WCKD's experiments. Above all, I didn't have weeks left. The inflection on my arm had grown from a dull ache to a burn, reminding me constantly of my impending demise.

"I guess we'll find out." Thomas was shining with optimism.

He was peering off into the distance but his mind was just as far. His mind was with Teresa, knowing that where Minho was, she would likely be in the same building. The very thought that he might still care for her had haunted me for months, I'd always been too afraid of the answer to ask. But looking at him now, his feelings were clear as day.

"You know she's gonna be there, too." A statement, not a question.

He nodded before joining the rest of the crew in the truck.

It could have just as easily been me staring into the distance wondering about lost love. If Janson had been successful in recruiting Fiona to his side after we got out of the maze. I still remember the look on her face when she slapped me for trying to kiss her in the compound. I can rarely think of another time that scared me so much.