Chapter 59 - Cars and Cranks

If Fiona ever told this story, I would deny any part in losing control

If Fiona ever told this story, I would deny any part in losing control. The three of us boys, even with a rolled-over rover and cranks closing in still were not in need of rescue.

Unofficially, off the books, we would have been dead in the next five minutes. Fiona was the responsible counterpart to our stupid plans. There were cranks to the left, right, and above, we could see the way out but had no way of obtaining it. Our light at the end of the tunnel was not the entrance, it was the headlights of a truck Jorge was driving.

"Shit!" Frypan swore, running and diving into the back of the truck.

"Hurry, get in!" Brenda swung the door open. Thomas jumped into the back landing on the floor right behind the driver's seat to leave room for me to hop in immediately after him, nearly crushing Sonya.

"Go, Jorge, go!" Thomas screamed, turning his head to look out the window right before a crank slammed against it.

"Hang on!" Jorge floored it, "I'm almost impressed! You guys almost lasted a whole day."

"Are you all alright?" Fiona was the first to ask. A small part of me wished she stayed at camp with her head in lab notes and experiments. The other, larger part of me was relieved to see her sitting in front of me.

She still wore the bag under her eyes, but there was color in her cheeks that I hadn't seen in months. Those same eyes were filled with worry, scanning us for injuries.

"Yeah." Thomas and I breathed. Frypan was cheering in the bed of the truck, flipping off cranks as we exited the tunnel. That was enough of an indication that he was fine.

"Good. Now," She smacked Thomas and me upside the head. I'm sure there was a smack reserved for Fry later. "Are you jacked out of your minds?"

Thomas opened his mouth to speak but she filled the air for him. "Rhetorical question Tommy. Because I know you are jacked in the head if you think that stealing a car and leaving without a word to your closest friends for a suicide mission is a great idea."

"Fiona-" I started only to earn a death glare.

"Oh, I haven't even begun with you." She darkly chuckled, and I promptly shut my mouth. She pointed at Thomas and Frypan, "They are immune. You are not. They shuck up and get a scar and one hell of a story. You on the other hand would get to pick a lovely cardboard box for your ashes."

I glanced over at Thomas, hoping for a little help but his head was down. Maybe realizing what would inevitably happen to me.

"I'm sorry." I tried to sound sincere but I'm fully aware of the choices I would and wouldn't make again. Especially since every mission could not be considered a suicide mission.

She frowned, "You're not sorry."

Frypan stuck his head through the window while holding onto the roof racks above the truck. "Mom and Dad fight sometimes but that doesn't mean that they don't still love each other."