Chapter 30 - Changes

I tried to focus. I really did. But when they sat Newt across from me, in the laboratories, it was next to impossible. Every time I looked up, I caught him glancing over at me too. Only making my heart flutter out of control even more.

They had given us new clothes. Newt now had a blue long sleeve, his hair brushed and you could see the highlights in his hair from the sun. Everything about him was attractive. I, on the other hand, sat on a gurney alone in a men's long sleeve that was probably one size too big because Newt's placements of hickeys would not comply with any of the women's shirts. Something I think he was proud of. We were all cleaned up, dry, and thrown into the lab, something that Thomas looked especially pissed about.

"What is that?" Newt asked the man in a lab coat in front of him.

The doctor held up a syringe with a long that I could see from across the room, "Just a little cocktail. Calcium, folate, vitamins A through Z. Pretty much everything you've been deprived of out there. Try to relax."

I eavesdropped on Thomas and his nurse next, who had taken about eight veils of blood from him and another eight from me a few minutes ago, "Sure you got enough there?

"Evening, Dr. Crawford." A man greeted a woman in heels and a traditional lab coat as he walked by.

She nodded at him, "Good evening. How are the new arrivals holding up?"

"So far, so good." He answered, disposing of the needle that was just in Newt's arm.

She pivoted in front of me, giving me a warm smile. I attempted to smile back, but this whole exchange made me queasy. "And you must be Fiona." She pulled the curtain around us, giving us a sense of privacy. It still made me feel better than if anything were to happen, it would only take one scream for the boys to be at my side, even if they couldn't see me.

"Rumor has it that you were the only girl for over two years. How was that?"

"It's all I've ever known, so I don't really know how to answer that." I felt the need to defend by boys.

"Do you know why you were the only girl for so long?" She seemed more curious about the topic.

"There was an error. I was sent in someone else's place." I gave her the only bit of information I knew.

She nodded, taking down notes, "Any idea who made that error?"

"I did. At least I think I did. That's what I've been told."

"Who told you that?"

I didn't answer right away, this little chat of ours was beginning to seem more one-sided.

"I'm sorry," She returned with that bright smile. "I'm just trying to get all the information I can. The more we understand WCKD the greater chance we have at ending them once and for all."

I nodded, deciding to answer the previous question in hopes that WCKD would never see the light of day again, "Thomas. He received some of his memories back."

"Excellent, thank you." She wrote her final notes, setting the clipboard down on the table. She picked up a needle and injected it into the bag of water that was linked up to my arm, rehydrating me since I got here. "That will help right any infections that got into your system in the maze trials."

"And then am I free to go?" I asked.

"One last thing," She walked over to a case, pulling out yet another needle to poke me with. I rolled my eyes, starting to get tired. "This isn't a regular shot. It has a little device in it, it'll regulate your hormones to prevent the conception of any child."