Chapter 52 - Kicking and Screaming

I didn't want to be alone in the world again

I didn't want to be alone in the world again. This world was broken and terrifying. Facing it alone didn't seem possible. I could survive without freedom, I could not live without them. They were the reason for my willingness to carry on.

"Let her go!" Thomas screamed, holding the bomb that he had almost detonated a few hours ago. Jansons dropped me, putting his hands up to avoid damage. He stood over Vince and Mary, protecting them from being dragged away. "Everyone, stand back! Let them go!"

Jansons ran back towards us, giving strict commands to his men to not shoot. Ava's alarmed stare begged him to not be rash. Thomas had a white knuckle grip on the bomb, holding it to his chest. I drove toward Mary, checking her pulse and her responses to stimulus.

"There's blood in the tent. We can replace some of that it lost." I spoke to Vince whose face was dripping tears. He was shaking, I wasn't sure he could even hear me. "Vince! Get her there now!"

Something broke through him as he picked her up, carrying her to the tent. None of the guards dared to move, letting them pass by.

"Let them all go!" Thomas pointed at Janson with the switch in his hand. I stood up, looping my arm through Thomas's in case they tried to pry us apart. He looked my way and met with a nod of approval. We'll go down together.

"It's all in my head." I challenged, adding pressure to Ava's decision. I pointed at my cranium, "If I'm gone, so is the cure."

"They're bluffing." Janson insisted.

"Push it," I instructed Thomas. I would die full of spite which was better than hollow.

"Thomas, please stop. I made a deal with them. They promised we'd be safe. All of us." Teresa

"Please don't fight them, Thomas. They can give your memories back, Fiona's too."

"Which set?" I snarled.

"It's true. It was her only condition." Ava's voice trembled.

"Forgive me if my appreciation is lost."

Teresa only got a sneak peek of her lack of control. She was a pawn just like us, they would kill all of us and her for the cure. "Thomas... do you really want all of them to die?"

"Listen to her, Thomas. Think about what you're doing." Ava tried.

"We're with you, Thomas," Newt told him, as he unlaced his fingers in mine. Our fates are sealed with our bonds.

If I didn't tell him now, I wouldn't get another chance. I knew deep down, it was true. I might understand why or how, but I didn't need my memories to know the feeling.

His mind must have gone to the same place because he turned to me, red hiding in his eyes, "I know you don't remember. I wish you did but I promise you I- I-" I tucked a piece of hair out of his face, wanting to take it all in. "I love you, Blue."