Chapter 26 - Queen of the Misfits

Newt got me a change of clothes, most importantly a hoodie so I could sneak out to see Thomas

Newt got me a change of clothes, most importantly a hoodie so I could sneak out to see Thomas. He agreed to stay in the woods, while I posed as him with Frypan and Minho standing in Gally's eyesight. It wasn't a perfect plan, but it would have to do.

"I remember." Tommy jumped upright as he saw me.

"Newt told me," I replied so he didn't have to relive the details. Our suspicions from the beginning had reason to be hidden then. Thomas, at one point or another, was part of WCKD.

He gripped the bars, "Did he also tell you that you were right?"

"Yes, but it's always good to hear it again." I teased, but his eyes told me there was more and he was leading on.

"The error." Thomas addresses. eyes fell to me.

To ask myself the question I think I already knew the answer to as a cycle of denial. The answer was right in front of me the whole time, and I checked every other opinion.

The word stopped me in my tracks. I rethought it, I read it over and over and over again until it barely seemed like a word anymore. Five letters that could single-handedly answer all my questions. I wasn't supposed to be put here. I was the imperfection. I wasn't a variable or a larger part of the experiment. I was an accident. I had no value or importance. I was the rock in the bottom of the shoe of WCKD and now they wanted to shake me out.

"It's me, isn't it?"

"They hate you. After what you did, the process was backed for months. You wanted to get the maze shut down. You believed that if you ruined the pattern they would have no choice but to shut it down. You and this other boy, you switched places. But that wasn't even all of it, you little switcheroo was just a distraction. Some of WCKD's top scientists went missing. I found your file, without your file for inspiration I don't know if I would come up here."

"What are we going to tell the boys? If I'm this so-called 'error' then it might be safer for them to know. WCKD is going to target me specifically."

Thomas looked at me with sad eyes, "I think some of them already know... They sent a note up, the month after you. Just like they did with me. It confirmed the error. And claimed that WCKD would take you out if you caused any more problems.

My mind jumped around once more, anger starting to boil towards Gally so quickly. I was the shucking queen shank of misfits.

Gally knew this whole time. Newt and Alby probably too.

"I'm sorry, I ever doubted you," I admitted, wiping my nose. "Turns out you were more honest than my best friends. Thank you for telling me, I'll handle it from here. I mean, as long as you don't try to kill me."

"I don't think you would let me." He pointed out, making a fair point.

"You're right there." I laughed,