Chapter 18

Samantha went the next few months without any contact with Jason outside of school. It was the end of the school year and the grade twelve students were getting ready for their graduation. She watched them move about outside setting everything up as she sat in her classroom. Her students wanted her there, but she said she couldn't bear to be the one to send them away and they let her be.

"I know I turned myself into a student with fake credentials and whatnot, but there's no way I'm participating in that," Will popped up beside her as he had been doing for months.

"It is a bit much, isn't it? But it's a proud moment for them."

"And you can watch it from here."

She nodded without thinking and snapped to attention. "What are you getting at?"

"Nothing," Will smiled and sat down on the windowsill.

"You're going to watch it?"

"If you are, I am too."

"Why don't you participate in it then? The others think you're a graduating student too."

"I'll pass; I'd rather enjoy from afar with a drink," Will pulled a flask out of his jacket.

Samantha's nose twitched, breathing in the scent coming from the flask. "You have alcohol not blood in the flask?"

"Ah, so your nose does still work after being dried out again," he took a sip. "Want some?" he held the flask out to her.

She sat down on the windowsill beside him and took the flask. "Thanks."

His eyes widened for a split second and he smirked. He had expected her to complain about him bringing alcohol on school grounds, but if she took it, she must've been struggling more than he thought.

"Are you ready, Jay?" Roy held onto Jason's shoulders, staring at him with narrowed eyes.

"To graduate, yeah, are you?" Jason nodded.

"Of course, but that's not what I'm talking about. Are you gonna do it? Or have you chickened out after all our planning?"

"Do you think I should?"

"Of course, I do!" Roy shook him. "Today's the day you've been waiting for. The love of your life isn't your teacher anymore; she's fair game."

"But what if she still rejects me? I don't know if I can handle the heartbreak again."

"Man up, dude, or else I'm going to confess."

"To Samantha? I thought you didn't have feelings for her."

"Not to her, to Maggy."

"Wait, what?" his eyes widened and he froze.

"Jay?" Roy waved a hand in front of his face. "Did I break you?" Roy poked him in the forehead.

"Don't you dare confess to my sister!"

"Geez, why do you hate me so much? I thought I was your best friend."

"I know you too well and it's terrifying to think about you two going out and then breaking up. Sorry, Roy, but Maggy is my sister and I have to choose her side."

"Seriously? I say about confessing to her and you instantly go down the line of us breaking up?"

"Hey," Maggy ran up to them off to the side of the rows of chairs by the trees, having been hanging with her parents in the waiting area. "Mom wants to take a few pictures before it starts... and during and after," she laughed. Her parents were rarely available for school functions of any sort, but they made time for this.