Chapter 3

Samantha sighed as she sat on the couch in their living room. "So, what did you find?" she asked her brother again, finally safe at home.

"Wine?" Will offered her a glass and she raised an eyebrow. He knew she rarely drank alcohol. "You might need it."

"Okay..." she accepted the glass and took a small sip as he sat beside her.

He chugged down his glass and poured another.

"It's that bad?"

Will struggled to explain. "Well... They found us."

"What?! That can't be... Wouldn't they have come after us already if they knew where we were?"

"Considering the number of times we've run away from them, they're trying to change their tactics."

Her stomach dropped, her body tensing up. She took another sip, but couldn't even taste the wine. "What kind of tactics?"

"My go-to guy had a letter waiting for me," Will pulled an envelope out of his jacket and handed it to her.

'We see you've set up yourself a cozy little life as a teacher in this town, but you belong to us, to me. The family needs you; the clan needs you. Our numbers have dwindled due to the werewolves and the only way to gain the power we need is with you. Come back home.

If you try to run again, we'll be forced to take it out on your precious students.

Evan

Along with the letter was a picture of her on the bench at school with Roy and Jason.

A chill ran down her spine and she bit her lip. I'm putting my students in danger...

Will heard a noise and glanced outside. In the distance, he saw a Jeep sitting at the forest entrance. He took a deep breath of air and caught a familiar scent; one he recently smelled on his sister. He approached the window, taking a sip of his wine and watched as two boys scrambled away from their house. "It seems we were followed."

Samantha shot to her feet. "What?! By who?" She stood beside him to look out the window, but nothing and no one was there.

"They already took off."

"Did you recognize them?" Samantha asked.

"If I had to guess, I'd say your students. You even smelled like one of them recently..." he trailed off and looked at the picture in her hand. "Actually, I know I didn't see them well, but I think it was them," he pointed at the picture.

"Jason and Roy? Why would they follow me?" She clenched her fists, crushing the letter and picture.

"Jason's the one whose sister was attacked, right? The one you drank from?"

"Yeah..."

"But you erased his memory, right?"

"Of course I did. I couldn't leave him knowing what I am."

Will sighed and took another sip of wine as he thought. "What about the other one?"

"Roy? He's a big flirt; flirts with all the girls from what I can tell. He seemed to have an... interest in me, but I tried to make it clear I don't date my students."

"Your students are hitting on you?"

She rolled her eyes. "It happens every year."

Will laughed. "If only they knew your true age."

"I'm a vampire and forever twenty-five; if I looked my age I'd be a bag of bones."

"True for both of us. Do you think they followed you because of me?"