Chapter 7

In the evening, Jason sat on the couch, his leg bouncing as he waited for Will to tell him to come over.

Bing. He checked his text. 'Why aren't you here yet?'

"Wait, what?" Jason fumbled with his phone to respond. 'I was waiting for you to tell me to come over.'

'I said come over for dinner; isn't that good enough? Whatever... just get over here."

'On my way.'

Jason grabbed his jacket and headed for the front door.

"Going out again?" Maggy asked from the kitchen doorway.

Jason froze. "Uh, yup. I'll try not to be late."

"Oh... Okay..." she sighed. "Stay safe."

He glanced over his shoulder at her as she headed back into the kitchen with slumped shoulders. "Come on, Mags, don't do that."

She ignored him and sat down at the table to do a crossword puzzle; another lonely night at home alone.

"I'll make it up to you later," he mumbled and headed out, not wanting to be on the wrong end of Will's anger.

Jason's heart rate spiked as he pulled into the eerie woods, slowly driving through the dirt path up to the Gilbert house. He parked outside and approached their door. He took a deep breath and raised his hand to knock.

The door opened. "You're late," Will complained.

"Sorry."

"Whatever, just get in here," Will rushed him in and headed back into the kitchen. "We better eat the meal before it gets cold." Will pointed, telling him where to sit. "Sam, get in here; dinner time," he said and set up the plates on the table.

"Good evening, Jason..." Samantha sat down across from him, fighting her turbulent emotions. How do I even approach all of this?

"Good evening," Jason said as his plate was set in front of him. "Thanks, this looks delicious," he took a deep whiff and salivated.

"Don't be shy, dig in."

After Jason's first bit, he melted. "Oh, this is so good... I didn't know you could cook, Miss G. Then again, you always bring those delicious lunches."

Will burst out laughing. "Despite her being the main one to eat the food, I'm the one who cooks it." Will leaned in to whisper, "I'd worry about the food if she was the one cooking."

"Would you quit ragging on my cooking skills?" Samantha snapped, glaring at Will for a second before righting herself and digging into the meal.

"You two are so close..." Jason smirked, thinking of Maggy and wishing he didn't leave her looking so lonely.