Chapter 5

At lunch period the next day, as Jason headed off to eat lunch, someone grabbed the collar of his jacket and dragged him into the janitor's closet.

"Ah!" Jason yelped as darkness consumed him.

Click. The light flicked on and before Jason could yell, a hand clamped over his mouth.

"It's just me," Will said. "Don't scream, okay?"

Jason nodded.

Will stepped away from him. "Were you serious about wanting to help us?"

"Of course; what can I do?"

"I know you might not like this, but keep an eye on your friend, Roy."

"Roy? Why? Did he do something? I mean, I know he hits on her any chance he gets, but—"

"This isn't about his daily attempt at dalliances with my sister. Another letter was dropped off at my house last night."

"In the middle of the woods?"

"Yes, and as you can imagine, we don't normally get mail."

"You think Roy dropped the letter off?"

"I tried to get a scent off the letter, but there was barely one there."

"You have a super sense of smell?"

Will laughed. "All my senses are heightened and I'm stronger and faster than any human."

"So are vampires really like how they're portrayed in the movies?"

"Some things are right."

"What about—"

"It's lunchtime; now's not the time to talk about that. So, will you keep an eye on Roy or not?"

"I will, but I'd like to have time to talk to you about what's really going on and about vampires in general."

"Are you trying to trade information for helping us?"

"N-not really... It's just easier for me to help if I'm in the know, right?"

"Fine, whatever. We'll need a private place for our meetings and I know just the place, but never go there without me."

"Why?"

"Because they'd eat young blood like you the moment you walked through the door alone."

"Oh..." Jason swallowed. "Okay... I get it."