Chapter 4

"Hey," Will called out to Jason from his seat behind him in class.

Jason jumped and glanced back at him, his heart racing. He knew Samantha was a vampire, so it would make sense if he were as well. "What's up?"

"Can I borrow your notes for this class so I can catch up?"

"Isn't the teacher your sister? You could—"

"It's not quite the same."

"Yeah, sure I guess."

"So, why are you switching schools mid-year?" Roy – sitting right next to Jason - turned around to ask.

"I got kicked out of my old school... for a variety of reasons. Took a while, but they finally gave me the boot. My sister wasn't too happy about me coming here, but it's the only other high school close by I haven't been kicked out of."

Roy inched closer. "Now I'm extra curious. I've gotten up to some shenanigans myself, but I have yet to be kicked out of school. Do tell, what have you done?"

During third period English class, Samantha kept an eye on her brother as he chatted up most of the class. How does he always manage to befriend people so easily?

Jason listened to all the conversations between Will and the others, but he kept his main focus on his work. He finished his assignment and handed it to her.

"So... You have a little brother?" Jason glanced back at Will. Feeling his eyes, Will met his gaze and smirked. Jason turned away, his heart racing as it did earlier.

"Yup..." Samantha gazed at Will and sighed.

"Are you okay with this?"

"He's a brat sometimes, but it'll be fine," she smiled at him. "He's a good little brother."

"You two are close, aren't you?"

"Hmm? What makes you think that?"

"I can see it in the way you look at him with such a caring gaze. It's probably the same expression I have when I look at my little sister. You know, it's hard being an older sibling sometimes; you end up wanting to protect them like you're a parent, but you don't have the same abilities as one..."

Samantha couldn't help but remember when they were both little. Will was a sickly child and their parents weren't around much, so she had to take care of him. After their parents died and the clan took interest in her because of her blood, she ended up leaving Will alone all too often. I never got to see him acting like a regular teenager. He may be hundreds of years old, but he seems to fit right in here. Maybe this is good for him...

"Are you okay?" Jason asked, noticing the tinge of sadness in her expression.

"What?" her head perked up. "Oh, I'm fine."

"Are you sure?"

"Yeah, yeah, I'm fine; don't worry about it Jason," she forced a smile.

Jason bit his lip, wishing he could reach out to her.

"Was there something else?"

"Uh, no," he shook his head and sat back in his seat.

Will glanced at her and gave her a quick, narrowed smile before turning back to the other students.

He was listening, wasn't he?

Will hunted down Jason after school while he was waiting for his sister. "Hey there, Jason," Will sauntered up to him.

Jason swallowed, bracing himself. "Hey, Will, what's up? Waiting for your sister to head home?"

"Yeah; she will always have things to take care of, so I'll always be waiting. What about you?"