13. The Night of the Lunar Eclipse

Haeun POV

"Soonyoung?" I mumble.

Huh? Something about him feels off. He doesn't look like the Soonyoung that I know. The color of his eyes and those sharp teeth... Is it because it's late at night? Nah, I must be seeing things.

"Oh, sorry! I came out in a hurry so I'm a bit underdressed...!!" I speak as I realise I was wearing only a pajamas to go out.

"N-no, don't be! I totally understand! I do it all the time!" He shakes his head.

"B-by the way, what brought you here, Haeun?"

"Oh. Well, uh... I just wanted to come see the beach at night."

It was such a spur-of-the-moment decision that I came out in my pj's.

"The beach at night?" Soonyoung raises his eyebrow.

"You came out here this late by yourself just for that? It's pitch-black, too." He speaks in a worried tone.

"Yeah... I thought there was going to be a full moon tonight. But--"

He cuts my words. "It's a Lunar Eclipse. When the sun, the earth, and the moon are closely aligned, it cause the moon to hide in the earth's shadow. It is a very special night."

I nod in response, "I see... I've only heard about it. This is the first time seeing it with my own eyes. So tonight is the lunar ecplise."

I look at the moon, embracing it's beauty. The moon shines so beautiful that I can't take my eyes off it. Plus, the red and black colour on it adds it's beauty even more.

"But all that aside... Soonyoung?"

"Yeah?" He replies.

"What are you doing here at this hour?"

"Oh, you see... I wanted to see the Lunar Eclipse, that's all." He smiles.

"Is that so? Did you come alone though? What about your friends?"

"I came by myself. The other guys are... asleep." Soonyoung smiles as he looks down.

He raises his head after a few seconds, "Hey, Haeun."

"Yeah?" I  question.

"If you don't mind, can I walk you back to your room after you're done?" He seems a little bit embarrassed to say it.

"You said you ran into a vampire today. So, I'm a little worried. And also, I want to be with you a little bit--" He whispers the last sentence.

"Really? Thanks, Soonyoung! I was a little bit scared, to be honest with all the vampires... and the stray dogs." I smile.

"What? Stray dogs?"

"Yup. I saw a group of huge stray dogs on the way. They were as big as wolves. I know they an't possibly be wolves, but..."

"I-Is that so?" He mumbles.

"I hope they don't attack and hurt anyone..." I sigh.

Soonyoung snaps, "Th-they would never do that! Especially not those wolves!!"

"Hm? What do you mean by that? Do you know those wolves?" I frown.

"N-no, I mean... wolves are better than you might think." He scratch the back part of his head.

My face lits up, "That's true. They're so cool."

"No way! You really think that?! Do you like wolves, Haeun?" Soonyoung smile widely that I never seen it before. He seems genuinely happy to hear that.

"Of course! Only when I watch them on TV, though. They're scary in real life!" I let out an awkward laugh.

Hoshi whines as he looks down, "Right..."

*****

The next day, since the class will start at night, I go to the library to find some interesting book to borrow. When I arrive there, I go to the bookcase at the right corner and starts to find the right books. Suddenly, a voice call me.

"Haeun!"

"Huh?" I turn my head towards the sound.

"Hi, Shua." I smile.

"Are you here to borrow a book?" He asks.

"Yup. What about you?"

"I'm returning one today. I finished his book." He replies.

My face lits up, "You did? What was it about?"

"Hmm... This book talkes about ancient mythologies that have been passed down. There are stories about vampires, werewolves..." He explains.

"Vampires and werewolves?"

"They're notorious for being nemeses so they often appear in stories together."

"Oh, I see." I nod in response.

"Werewolves are people who turn into wolves when there's a full moon, right?"

"That's right." Joshua mutters.

"If so... what happens when there's a Lunar Eclipse?" I am curious. I like to know more about this topic to be honest.

"Are they unable to transform since the moon is hidden behind a shadow?"

"I'm not sure about that, but I heard that..." Shua stops and let out a small sigh.

"During a Lunar Eclipse, werewolves fall in love with the first woman they see that night. And they love her, and only her for the rest of their lives."

"Oh, wow. That's so romantic." I said.

"But, Lunar Eclipses don't happen very often so they probably don't fall in love very often either." He smiles.

"Right. Good point. That reminds me, I saw a Lunar Eclipse recently!"

"Recently?" Shua seems taken aback a little bit.

"Where did you see one?"

I replies, "Oh! Well, you see... on the night we hung out in the square together, I went back there by myself."

"You went to the square at night all by yourself? Why? Did something happen?" Joshua is in shock.

I look down, "No. I wanted to see the beach at night, that's all."

"Oh, okay." He sighs in relief.

"There was supposed to be a full moon that night but it was strangely dark. Apparently, it was because of the Lunar Eclipse."

I stop for a moment before finishing my sentence.

"Soonyoung told me. I ran into him there."

With that, his face drops. With a horror and shock expression on his face, he freezes.