XVI

It took a minute...

Or five.

For either of them to realize what they were doing. Draco jumped back as if she had burned him as she blinked at him with confusion as he breathed heavily.

"I-I have to go—" Draco stuttered as he tumbled away. Granger got up to speak but he was out before she could say anything. He slammed the door to his bedroom and paced the span of his room as he muttered to himself. 

There was a gentle knock at the door.

"Go away Granger."

"Look Malfoy, I want to apologize for whatever happened in the kitchen—"

"I said go away," he ordered, staring at the door angrily.

He knew Granger wasn't to blame. It was the heat of the moment. But his mind was not rational at the moment and all he could think was his father and his cane. 

The fear was overwhelming and squishing the butterflies blooming in his stomach.

"Malfoy—"

"I said go away you filthy Mudblood!"

The words were out of his mouth before he could even think them. It was too late once he heard the silence on the other side.

"Screw you Malfoy," he heard a soft voice. Defeated. He didn't know what hurt him the most. Hearing Granger defeated or the fact that something slid down from under the door.

He heard the door slam shut to the guest room and sighed. Swearing to himself knowing that he had messed up.

He glanced down and saw a book. The book that he was reading.

He picked it up and traced the title before opening it.

Enjoy it Malfoy.

HG

Draco sighed and looked at the door.

How the hell was he going to apologize for this?

He slowly crept out of his room and stood in front of the guest room. He raised his hand to knock but hesitated.

What was he supposed to say?

'Hey Granger, sorry for calling you a Filthy Mudblood again, friends?'

That'll earn him another punch in the face.

He shook his head and walked off.

This was too difficult to comprehend.

He grabbed a bottle of Firewhiskey and uncorked it. Pouring himself a drink he was about to take a sip before the door to the guest room opened and Granger stormed out.

"Let's go," she ordered.

"Where?"

"We have practice Malfoy, unless you would like to find a witch that isn't a filthy Mudblood?" Granger sneered.

He deserved that...

Luckily he wasn't getting punched.

He slowly followed Granger as she left the flat. Gulping as he locked the flat and trailed her. She was walking three feet ahead of him and her posture was tense.

They reached the Great Hall and everyone was already waiting for them. They stood in the center as the music began. Granger did not meet his eyes even once.

And he really wanted her to meet them.

He tailed her as they switched partners. When she reached Theo. Her face morphed into a smile. They bowed to each other and then Theo's hands were on her. Draco clenched his jaw. He didn't know why he was jealous.