VII

To say it was awkward would be an understatement.

Hermione settled in Malfoy's flat with her bag on her lap. She began to overthink and wondered if it was too late to leave.

And then Malfoy came in with two tumblers of Firewhiskey.

Hermione pulled out her notebook and pens as he settled the glasses on the coffee table.

"I was thinking that maybe we could—"

"Drink Granger, we should drink first."

Hermione took a deep breath and grabbed the glass.

They drank in an awkward silence. Hermione played with the glass before taking another sip.

"I like the white theme," she murmured softly. He raised an eyebrow.

"I knew you would come to it."

Hermione rolled her eyes.

"We can work the colour scheme if everyone wears white."

"Like a blank canvas," he mused.

Hermione couldn't help but smile softly.

"This is good Firewhiskey," Hermione whispered.

"Only the best for me."

"Still stuck up your arse I take it," she grumbled. She shuffled through her bag and found the package of cigarettes she always carried. She took it out and lit one before extending it to Malfoy.

"Little Miss Perfect smokes?" He smirked.

"Do you want one or not?" Hermione asked.

He smirked and took a cigarette and lit it. Hermione spread out all the plans that she had and Malfoy leaned forwards. They finally worked civilly as they worked on the ball and itinerary.

Somehow — the four bottles of Firewhiskey and two bottles of tequila — Malfoy and Hermione had somehow staggered away from their work and chatted about mundane things.

"What happened?" Malfoy slurred. Hermione blinked and sighed because she knew what he was asking.

"It's my parents," she murmured, "I...um...I cursed them with an Obliviation spell and...I can't have them back."

Malfoy stayed silent.

"That was the healer telling me that there is no way that I will be able to bring them back...and even if I tried...I may cause more harm than good..." she told him.

"I'm the reason why my mother is in Azkaban...she didn't commit any crimes during the war but took all the blame for me," he told her.

Hermione stared at him.

"I'm the reason why my mother is going to receive the Dementors Kiss," he sniffed.

Her head snapped at that.

"What?" She whispered, "I-I thought...I thought they had terminated the dementors..."

He scoffed.

"Sure, the one thing that keeps Deatheaters in Azkaban, they lied Granger, they're doing private executions."

Hermione stared at him.

"You're parents—"

"My dad is already gone," he said, "my mother is waiting."

Hermione knew there was nothing for her to say.

What could she say to that?

'Tough luck Malfoy, sucks to be you'?