Yang: "Ruby has been drowning herself in her video games."

Y/N: "Weiss is burying herself in her studies. Avoiding any interaction from Ruby and even us."

Jaune: "Man, that sparring match must've hit them really hard, huh?"

Y/N: "Yeah, no kidding."

Yang: "Well, in your partners' spar, Pyrrha won in under 30 seconds."

Y/N: "Yeah. Never seen a match end so quickly."

Pyrrha, being kindly, tries to defend Jaune.

Pyrrha: "I... I think Jaune did his best. Even I was struggling in our match."

They minus Jaune, all look at Pyrrha with visible doubt by her remark.

Jaune: "You guys are wrong. I... I was just off my game."

Knowing that he's bluffing, Nora slams her hands on the table with a grin and pointing at Jaune.

Nora: "If that's the case, I dare you to challenge Cardin on the next sparring day!"

Jaune also gets up from his seat.

Jaune: "I accept your dare!"

Pyrrha looks up at Juane with some concern.

Pyrrha: "I'm not sure that's a wise decision, Jaune."

Jaune just stands proudly.

Jaune: "Well, I'm not afraid."

Y/N: "Jaune, it's not about bravery. Ever heard of self-preservation?"

Jaune: "Oh come on, guys. I'm sure I can take on Cardin."

________________________________________________________________________________

On the next sparring day, Jaune is on the arena across from Cardin, double guessing his course of action.

Jaune: ("Maybe I should flank him once he strikes.")

He looks at Cardin, who laughs at his tiredness, and Jaune gathers his strength. Cardin charge forward and swing his mace at Jaune. Jaune tries to dodge and flank him only for Cardin to jump out of the way. Jaune looks back, surprised, as Cardin's mace sends Jaune's shield and himself flying back. Now only armed with his sword, Jaune continued to try and attack, but is blocked by the mace's hilt. Their weapons locked, Cardin forces himself up, towering over a struggling Jaune.

Cardin: "This is the part where you lose, Jauney Boy."

Jaune: "Over my dead-!"

Jaune is cut short as Cardin knees him in the gut, making Jaune drop his sword and fall to the ground in pain. Cardin raises his mace and is about to slam it down on a worried Jaune just when the buzzer rings, the lights come back on, and Glynda Goodwitch's voice causes him to stop.

Glynda: "Mr. Winchester, that's enough!"

Reluctantly, Cardin obliges as he leaves the arena. Cardin looks back at Y/N, giving a grin at beating up Jaune in front of the whole class. Y/N just glare at him, pondering to himself. 

Y/N: ("The hell is his problem?")

After sparring class, Jaune goes off outside the classroom to tend his injured pride. Only for Cardin to approach him from behind to push onto the floor before leaving. Seeing this, Y/N was about to march towards Cardin to give him a piece of his mind until Pyrrha grabs him by the arm, shaking her head.

Pyrrha: "Don't bother, Y/N."

Y/N look back at Pyrrha before exhaling.

Y/N: "Fine."