Chapter 2:The truth

Arturo's voice was soft and full of adoration as he spoke into Lucrezia's ear. She felt the warmth of his breath and the gentle pressure of his lips against her forehead. She closed her eyes and breathed in his scent, feeling a wave of contentment wash over her.

Arturo pulled her closer and said in a serious tone, "My love, listen to me carefully. I have something important to tell you." His words caused Lucrezia's heart to race as she realized this was the moment, they had both been dreading.

"What is it? Is there something wrong, my love?" she asked, her voice trembling.

"My father has arranged for me to be married to this girl named Sofia Miller," Arturo said with a heavy sigh. "I don't want to be, but Lucrezia, I can't defy my father — he will have me killed."

Lucrezia felt the tears welling up in her eyes as Arturo spoke. He quickly grabbed her face in his hands and placed a tender, passionate kiss on her lips.

"I don't care if I have to marry her, you will always be the love of my life. Do you hear me? I will still take care of you."

Lucrezia slowly nodded her head, and Arturo could feel the tenseness in her body, as if she was preparing to tell him something monumental. His expression shifted from one of peaceful contentment to guarded apprehension.

"What is it, my love?" he asked.

She took a few deep breaths, then finally let the words out. "I am pregnant, and the baby is yours, Arturo." His face lit up with a bright smile and his eyes widened in surprise and delight. "A baby changes everything," he whispered, his voice laced with wonder. "Lucrezia, do you not see? If you're pregnant, then we can get married."

Lucrezia's stomach dropped at his words, and she felt a wave of sorrow wash over her. She had hoped that Arturo would want to marry her for love, not just because she was pregnant with his child. Anger and betrayal welled up inside her as she jumped off the bed, her eyes glaring at Arturo. She stomped across the room, her hands balled into tight fists and clenched at her sides. As she reached the window, she stopped and crossed her arms in front of her chest as if to protect herself from Arturo's words. Her chin was held high, and her back remained rigidly turned from him as she gazed out onto the horizon.

Tears sprang from her eyes and trickled down her cheeks as sorrow mixed with anger. She squared her shoulders, fighting to maintain a dignified look. Slowly, she turned from the window to face Arturo, her chin still held high in a haughty pose of royalty. She narrowed her eyes at him and tried to keep her chest from heaving as if she was trying to hold back her sobs. Her hands were still clenched tightly in front of her, and she suddenly threw them up at him as she erupted into an angry rage.

"I cannot believe you!"

Arturo's blue eyes widened as he watched her burst from the corner of his eye. He took a quick step backwards toward the door, standing near it to make sure he could escape quickly if he needed to. He didn't know what to say to her or how to placate her outburst. He looked up at her with his eyes glistening, as if holding back tears of his own, and nodded.

"I am sorry, Lucrezia," he said. He hung his head in shame.

Lucrezia faced the window, her back to Arturo. He walked closer towards her, planting tiny kisses along her neck.

"My love," he whispered. "I'm not marrying you because you're pregnant with my child. I want to marry you because I'm madly in love with you. I don't care about Sofia; it's only ever been you. You are no one's mistress, and you are the one I want to be with."