› ࣪ . ๑ 𝗹.𝗴 : 𝗌𝗈𝗎𝗋 𝖼𝖺𝗇𝖽𝗒

✩﹐[𝘀𝗶𝘅]﹒𝗍𝗁𝖾 𝗀𝗂𝗋𝗅﹒⅄
⁑⁑﹒[𝗁𝖾𝗋]﹒𝘀𝗼𝘂𝗿 𝗰𝗮𝗻𝗱𝘆﹒➷

✩﹐[𝘀𝗶𝘅]﹒𝗍𝗁𝖾 𝗀𝗂𝗋𝗅﹒⅄⁑⁑﹒[𝗁𝖾𝗋]﹒𝘀𝗼𝘂𝗿 𝗰𝗮𝗻𝗱𝘆﹒➷

﹢➜﹒𝗦𝗢𝗨𝗥 𝗖𝗔𝗡𝗗𝗬 .

Promotional graphic for the song

Promotional graphic for the song. For its release to retailers, the song uses the same cover as the album.

❱❱ .﹢𝗥𝗘𝗟𝗘𝗔𝗦𝗘𝗗, May 28, 2020
❱❱ .﹢𝗥𝗘𝗖𝗢𝗥𝗗𝗘𝗗, 2020
❱❱ .﹢𝗚𝗘𝗡𝗥𝗘, Deep House, Dance-Pop, Electropop
❱❱ .﹢𝗟𝗘𝗡𝗚𝗧𝗛, 2:37
❱❱ .﹢𝗟𝗔𝗡𝗚𝗨𝗔𝗚𝗘, English, Korean
❱❱ .﹢𝗟𝗔𝗕𝗘𝗟, Interscope
❱❱ .﹢𝗥𝗘𝗟𝗘𝗔𝗦𝗘 𝗧𝗬𝗣𝗘, Collaboration
❱❱ .﹢𝗦𝗢𝗡𝗚 𝗡𝗨𝗠𝗕𝗘𝗥, 5
❱❱ .﹢𝗦𝗜𝗡𝗚𝗟𝗘, Sour Candy - Digital, Rain On Me, Stupid Love, 911, Free Woman
❱❱ .﹢𝗕-𝗦𝗜𝗗𝗘, -
❱❱ .﹢𝗖𝗥𝗜𝗧𝗜𝗖𝗔𝗟 𝗥𝗘𝗦𝗣𝗢𝗡𝗦𝗘, Positive
❱❱ .﹢𝗧𝗢𝗧𝗔𝗟 𝗪𝗜𝗡𝗦, 0
❱❱ .﹢𝗔𝗥𝗧𝗜𝗦𝗧, Lady Gaga, BLACKPINK

﹑→ .𝗖𝗥𝗜𝗧𝗜𝗖𝗔𝗟 𝗥𝗘𝗖𝗘𝗣𝗧𝗜𝗢𝗡 .

Joey Nolfi from Entertainment Weekly called the song an "epic collaboration" and "a mouthwatering serve". Michael Roffman from Consequence of Sound said that "'Sour Candy' is another banger from the Oscar winner, proving Chromatica will bring the party to our pandemic." Claire Shaffer from Rolling Stone found it "a sugar-sweet club track for all our at-home parties. Jem Asward from Variety found it "a sparkling combination of the two artists' styles". Zoe Haylock from Vulture opined that "when the lyrics can basically all be Instagram captions, you know it's a good pop song!" Cole Delbyck of HuffPost thought that the song is "fusing Gaga and Blackpink's distinct sounds into one dance-floor-primed... bop" and "lives up to the hype surrounding the long in the works collaboration that fans have been filling up their mentions about for years".

Louise Bruton from The Irish Times found it "the perfect mix of weirded-out pop and euphoria". Stephen Daw from Billboard complimented the song for managing to give every participants "equal, well-balanced time", although he noted that something was missing from the track that "could have rounded [it] out". Michael Cragg from The Guardian was critical of the song, saying that it "falls disappointingly flat" and "ends up sounding like a dashed off, cheaply produced interlude". Sal Cinquemani from Slant Magazine called the song "empty-calorie", while Evan Sawdey from PopMatters thought it was "blissfully short" and one of the "lesser songs" of the Chromatica album.