57) SO ROMANTIC.

X Bélizaire's POV 

"You really are useless when it comes to motorcycles." I grumbled when I showed Cole the right open end wrench for what felt like the seventeenth time.

"I told you so." Cole shrugged, nonplussed. He had a black grease stain on his cheek, and I wondered when he had managed to get it, as I was the only one actually doing anything for the bike. "It's not my fault you're the muscle in our relationship while I'm the brain."

I could hardly be called beefy or muscular, but I guess I was that compared to Cole's slim build. He had lost some weight after the accident, but his appetite had returned back to normal around the same time his legs started to heal. What came to being the brain in the relationship, I wasn't going to kid myself I am smarter than him. I'm not stupid like Maddie likes to call me, but I think all the Walker siblings are some kind of geniuses. 

"Fixing a bike is hardly about muscles." I pointed out, grinning as I picked up the right tool. "If anything, you need to use your brain to remember all the tools and what to do with them."

"Then why aren't all the nerds working in the garage?" Cole hummed, giving a cautious shake to his leg. He had ditched one of his crutches for good and even the second one he used only when walking a longer distance. Not that it was any sort of a competition, but all my bones had healed and there was no soreness left to remind me of the accident. 

"Shouldn't you be the one to know the answer to that?" I asked, wiggling my eyebrows and grinning. 

"Are you calling me a nerd?" Cole demanded, fake pouting with his face all scrunched up.

"I'm simply saying that you're the brain while I am the muscle in this relationship." I was quick to tell him. Cole let out a soft laugh and shrugged as if to say: touché

I had seen the blue in his eyes turn stormy when he was angry, fade to gray of a cloudy sky in the moments of desolation, and deepen to the blue of an ocean at the darkest of a night just before he leaned in for a kiss. When I looked at them now, I finally understood what all those clichés about eyes of the shade of a clear summer sky were all about.

I had never, despite picking art as my main subject, been good at naming shades. Before, all the blues looked the same to me, but now I could tell the difference. Although, instead of names such as cobalt, sapphire and Lapis Lazuli, I would call them angry blue, hopeless blue and happy blue.

"Stop staring at me like that." Cole complained, frowning. 

"Like what?" I asked, guileless. I set down the wrench and wiped my hands onto my jeans, smearing them with black grease.

"I don't know.. Like that." Cole mumbled and shrugged, but I could tell something made him uncomfortable. He was looking down at his hands, so I used my thumb and forefinger to tilt his face toward me. He scowled, those happy blue eyes darkening to something else. Not anger, not hopelessness, just something else.

I brought our lips together to drive away that dark expression. I only closed my eyes after he did, melting into the kiss. He cupped the back of my head, the swift movement of him pulling me closer throwing me off balance. I landed on my back on the unforgivable concrete floor, but his hands saved me from fracturing my skull in the process. 

Cole landed safely on top of me, laughing with his face buried on my chest. The floor was cold and the garage smelled of motor oil, but I found myself wishing I could just lay right there with him all day long. I didn't even mind being so close to my bike, as working with it served as desensitization. Cole mumbled something against my chest, but I couldn't make out the words.