"Bismillah", I said, taking a date in my hand before eating it completely.

Afterwards, I chatted to my parents, not forgetting Sonia's criticism.

"Have you been chosen as valedictorian?" my mother asked cheerfully.

I shook my head and she gave me a big hug. Sonia left the table, unable to bear the affection I was receiving.

"We're proud of you," said my father.

A short time later, I was helping my mother tidy up and prepare some of the dishes for Eid, while my father went to bed.

The doorbell rang, and my mother went to answer it. Who could it be at that hour? It must have been Mrs Siddiqui, she loved my mother's cakes so much, she was a very nice woman, he'd been living here with her husband for ten years, such a lovely couple, they even had strange nicknames, Mr Siddiqui liked to call her the mosquito while Mrs Siddiqui called her the grumpy one, it always made me laugh when I heard them arguing in the garden, their little boy always came to take refuge with us.

"Ammi, can you pass me the flour?" I asked, hearing footsteps behind me.

I repeated three times but she didn't do it, she sometimes liked to act like a child.

"Ammi, please," I exasperated.

"I don't know where it is," I heard a deep voice reply.

I froze as I recognised the familiar voice, he was back at last, I turned quickly to face him.

MaShaAllah, he was even more handsome than I remembered. He was dressed smartly and formally, as if he'd changed his pen, but at the same time he wasn't 17 any more, he was twenty, and when he finished his MBA he was going to take over the family business. He was even more attractive.

I could hear him clear his throat and I blushed as I lowered my head; he'd noticed that I'd been staring at him like a psychopath.

"Hi," I said shyly.

"Hi," he replied simply.

How did he manage not to be stressed, it had been three years since I'd seen him.

I heard him clear his throat and blushed as I lowered my head; he'd noticed that I'd been staring at him like a psychopath.

"Hi" I said shyly.

"Hi," he replied simply.

How could he not be stressed, we hadn't seen each other for three years.

"I could talk to you, I came here especially for that reason" he warns me.

I nodded, smiles on my lips, butterflies in my stomach - he'd come especially to see me, to talk to me. I'd missed him so much, and he must have missed me a lot too.

We sat down, and I shyly looked down at my hands on my lap.

"Listen, this is delicate, but it's about our marriage," he said seriously.

I finally looked into his deep black eyes, he wanted to talk about our marriage and so did I really.

"Do you want to put it off until next year?" I asked him simply.

He nodded, I thought it was a good idea to postpone it until next year, he would finish his studies soon and I would finish next year, financially we would be stable and settled.

"I'd like to cancel it, Samira," he said, looking me straight in the eye.

What did he say? I felt my heart twitch, the butterflies in my stomach disappeared leaving an unpleasant feeling fill my stomach, that of pain.

"I know it's sudden but the truth is that I've loved your sister from the start, if I've always been cold it's because I've always thought of you as a little sister, not as my wife" he assured me with a smile, taking my hand in his.

I looked at him and lowered my head, it was a nightmare, wasn't it? Ya rabb, I can't go through that. He loved my sister and not me, he saw my sister as his wife and not me, I was a little sister to him.

"Forgive me Samira, but you have a very good heart, please reunite me with your big sister, Allah will reward you" he said.

I controlled my tears and faced him, his gaze was sincere, I couldn't stop him being happy with the one he loved, after all I loved him, I wanted to see him happy, even if it meant being far away from me.

"Don't worry Esan, I'll help you, in any case, our marriage was just an arrangement, we weren't in love" I told him, smiling.

The smile that appeared on his lips hurt, he was so happy not to be with me, if only he knew how much I loved him. He just wasn't mine.

"You're the best Samira, don't worry, tomorrow I'll come with my parents to announce it, you've got nothing to do with it" he said excitedly.

I nodded as I was about to leave when I felt him take me in his arms.
"Thank you" he murmured happily before releasing me.

I went up the stairs, I'd imagined all sorts of ways he'd hold me the first time, but never for this reason.

I shut the door to my room, put on my headphones and listened to sura ad-duha to soothe myself.

I didn't know that heartbreak could be so painful. "Goodbye first love, goodbye Esan" I murmured as I drifted off to sleep.

I woke up the next day for Eid, and as expected Esan had come with his parents to explain the situation to my family.

I was about to go up to my room when my sister grabbed my arm and I gave her a questioning look.

I gave her a quizzical look. "I told you he'd run away," she said in a triumphant tone.

Esan wasn't like that, he didn't run away from me, he just told me the truth, his heart belonged to someone else.

I decided to study abroad, as it would give me a change of scenery and, above all, protect my broken heart.