The Last Relictomb

Start from the beginning

Intrigued by his willingness to share knowledge, I pressed further. "I have witnessed the formidable power of Kezess Indrath firsthand. However, I managed to vanquish him despite not having fully mastered every facet of aether. With all the accomplishments of your people," I gestured to the blank expanse surrounding us, "I still struggle to understand how your civilization was ultimately wiped out. If the knowledge you so revered was crucial enough to be preserved within this place, why did you not fight to ensure its survival within yourselves?"

"Prepare yourself, Jude Leywin," the djinn remnant declared with a wave of his hand. "The trial shall provide the answers you seek."

I found myself in a spherical chamber, surrounded by djinn beings. Above, a breathtaking stained-glass dome allowed vibrant hues of purple and blue sunlight to bathe the space. Lush vines adorned the walls, and gentle streams meandered alongside the staircases that encircled the amphitheater-style seating. Every seat was occupied, creating a sense of anticipation in the air.

Beside me, the djinn remnant wore a distant expression, his gaze fixed upon two individuals seated across from each other at a round table. Intricate carvings adorned the table's surface, their details obscured from my view. Yet, my attention was immediately drawn to the dragon perched upon the table's edge.

It was Kezess Indrath.

Time held no dominion over this vision, leaving me uncertain of when it had transpired. Kezess appeared unchanged, mirroring his appearance during our fateful encounter in Epheotus. From his creamy hair to the piercing and calculating gaze that could shift hues like the changing tides, everything remained consistent. Despite his seemingly relaxed posture, an underlying air of cunning and danger emanated from him, akin to a fox amidst unsuspecting prey.

The djinn, a man with a blue-tinted complexion and short ethereal hair that seemed to float around his head, had just finished speaking.

"My stance remains unaltered, King Balor," Kezess retorted with an air of ostentation. "Your mastery of the arcane arts known as aether poses a threat to your civilization, and indeed, the entire world. It is imperative that this knowledge be assimilated into the dragons' understanding, regardless of the cost or effort. There is no viable alternative but for your people to educate mine."

The audience maintained an eerie silence, enraptured by the tension permeating the room. The djinn remnant at my side shifted uneasily, his body betraying the electric current of tension coursing through him.

"You seem to believe that your mere visualization of how the world operates can shape reality to your liking," Balor replied, his words laden with profound sorrow. "However, it is precisely this rigid mindset that hinders your progress in delving deeper into the mysteries of aether arts. We cannot teach you, not in the manner you desire."

Kezess curled his lip in a disdainful expression, conveying more than any sneer could convey. "We are well aware of your endeavors. Frankly, I find them commendable. Our world, Epheotus, shares similarities—a fragment drawn into another dimension, cultivated by the ancestral lineage of my ancestors. So the question remains: if you are so convinced that the asura are incapable of mastering djinn arts, why do you resist so vehemently in sharing them with us?"

"We do not resist," Balor responded placidly. "However, your warning about the perils that await civilizations that amass excessive magical power compelled us to extend our gaze beyond the confines of our own world and the narrow confines of our timeline. In doing so, we recognized the true significance of preserving our knowledge in a form that will endure. Transferring insight is a challenging endeavor, Lord Indrath, even with a willing recipient."

A tinkling, dangerous laughter escaped Kezess. "But we dragons are not...willing recipients, is that what you imply?"

"I have expressed our position, and you have expressed yours," Balor stated, his gaze sweeping over the hushed audience. "Does any djinn present wish to voice their thoughts?"