𝐎𝐍𝐄

Chapter One
𝐓𝐡𝐞 𝐂𝐡𝐢𝐥𝐝

✵

"𝐀𝐑𝐄 𝐖𝐄 𝐒𝐔𝐑𝐄 𝐒𝐇𝐄'𝐒 𝐑𝐄𝐀𝐃𝐘?"

"No. But we don't have any more time. With the threat of war that looms over us, we don't have time for niceties, agent."

"But sir, if she isn't stable, we could have a much more serious issue on our hands." 

"I am aware, but we have to take that chance. Take a few agents with you when collecting her, in case she doesn't come easily. Take Coulson as well, she seems to have taken a liking to him." 

"Yes, sir." 

Five agents advanced on a closed cell door, it was isolated and seemed to be the only occupied room in the hall. 

After unlocking many locks, the door creaked open. The room was dark, but the agents knew it was voluntary from the occupant. 

She liked it dark, no one understood why though. But then again, no one made much of an effort to talk to her anyway. 

The light from the hall fell on a figure in the room, the figure was sitting on a small bed, her back turned towards them. 

She wore a small muscle tank top, it was flowy and revealed the metal plates on her back, the plates she had obtained from her last housing quarters. Metal plates that no one ever talked about. 

There were three in total, and the three assistant agents couldn't help but stare. Two matching plates were covering her shoulder blades, the skin connecting to the plates was jagged and clearly not properly cut. The third piece of metal reached from her tailbone, all the way up to the top of her spine. Much like the other two pieces, the skin connected to it was jagged and scarred, having not healed right and not professionally cut. 

But, unlike what you would expect, the girl could move easily. She wasn't stiff or rigid, instead, she was flexible and could move like any normal child. When she was first taken in by the organization, they identified her plates as vibranium. It was unknown to anyone how the plates moved like skin, and nobody asked. 

Agent Coulson entered first, followed by Agent Hill while the three agents stood guard at the door. 

Coulson neared the girl first, everyone in S.H.I.E.L.D that knew of the girl, also knew that Coulson was the only person the girl was willing to talk to. Which is why he was often assigned to look after the girl's training. 

But even with the man, the girl still often acted out. 

Coulson sat next to the girl and folded his hand in his lap. He waited for her to speak, which annoyed Hill because it was wasting time, but she still let him continue.