Chapter Thirty One: Performing to the Gods

Start from the beginning

If Amethyst had been described as a poor city, then Ruby stood at the opposite end of the spectrum. In a twist of irony, the two were placed next to one another in location, but appeared like mismatched twins.

To our dismay, the border was also much more regulated into Ruby. Whereas the previous guards had simply scanned our caravans, the Ruby controls were designed to find even the smallest anomaly. Our alibis were checked, and our caravans searched; from beneath bed sheets to jewellery, nothing escaped the keen eye of the Ruby guards.

Nothing except our whole plan, of course. It was with restrained glee that we all pretended to be occupied amongst ourselves as we passed through the checkpoints, and were allowed entry into the city.

And what a city it was. A thousand red-slate houses lined grand plazas, centred around sculptures and fountains. Each house was several floors, and consisted of large, airy windows with little blue shutters, and ivy growing along the walls. Public buildings were numerous and equally as impressive; the library was a circular dome on a marble plinth, and the town hall surrounded by pillars and stone statues.

But as soon as we entered the richer part of the district, we had to leave it. The Northern Quarter of Ruby was beautiful, but limited to those who could afford it. Gypsies were not intended to stay amongst the clean slate tiles of the town; they were designated in the slums at the furthermost corners. Beyond the eyesight of the rich, the slums of Ruby consisted of miles of homelessness, shanty towns and chaos. We parked our caravans near to a group of settlers, and for the first night, we set up a stage amongst the others and begun to mix.

Trina and Guthrie had been sent as scouts, to get a good idea of our whereabouts and any clues to how we were going to get into the prison. They had since returned, and had taken to drinking in the stall nearby. Roan hovered among them, stone cold sober- probably. I couldn't really tell if he was a statue or human half the time, let alone inebriated.

Lav took it upon herself to palm read everyone with a small coin for change, but in reality, I knew she was reading far more tan lines on a person's hands. Lav saw which customers were happy and loyal, and who wanted change within this city.

Kaelan remained by Val's side, and the two were forming a strange pair that I wasn't certain I could allow, given Val's technical age. However I figured at I had some time before Val felt confident enough to start touching people, especially suitors, without leaving them cold.

And that left Arl, who was bartering for food, Iggy, who was consuming more than saving the food, and Clae, who was helping our performers get ready.

I sighed. Everything was running smoothly, but I needed Fabian to return.

Kitty stepped up. Her brown hair was cast into a neat bun, and her big brown eyes scanned the crowd in fear. Her mother was one of the few nearby, watching with narrowed eyes of the same colour as her daughter's.

Kitty wore a simple black leotard and pointe shoes. Flowing ribbons of silk were attached to her fingers, dancing in the air before she'd even moved. For a moment, she stood awkward on the stage, before heaving a pole up there next to her.

By now, a few people had stopped to look in interest at what the girl was doing. Jak began to play at the back of the stage, a similar low tune to before. Kitty took one last look at her mother, and the people, before her gaze unfocused, and she began to dance.

I recognised the strict discipline of her ballet; each arm movement as pure as the silk swirling from her fingers, but each muscle straining in effort. She turned and jumped, the stage seeming far to small for her energy. Her cheeks were brighter, and her face had lost all uncertainty. Each step she took was a perfect freeze frame, and although she might have missed out technical parts, her dance had soul.