Chapter Three: Set Ups

"Lord Berbrooke is harmless. There will be others." Anthony tried reassuring Daphne as they rode their horses.

"Lady Whistledown has all but declared me ineligible... Worthy of the affection of a detestable simpleton and no one else. Tell me, what others should ever want such damaged goods now?" Daphne complained.

"There is no such thing as damage goods when it comes to ladies Daph, you just have to wait for the right person." Camilla tried reassuring

"Camilla is right, and you speak as if Lady Whistledown were to be in higher regard than Her Majesty the Queen Herself." Anthony tried reasoning. "You give far too much credit to some anonymous scribbler. These musings, they're not true."

"Only they are true, brother, and they are true because of you. You have managed to scare every worthy suitor away. Whistledown has merely reported it." Daphne accused

"I am looking out for you. I am protecting you." Anthony defended. "It is my duty,"

"And what of my duty?" Daphne spoke out then lowering her voice as people turned to look at the bickering. "You have no idea what it is to be a woman... what it might feel like to have one's entire life reduced to a single moment. This is all I have been raised for."

"This... is all I am. I have no other value, if I am unable to find a husband, I shall be worthless." Daphne's reproach made Camilla roll her eyes at Daphne's tantrum.

"Daphne, you're a Bridgerton." Anthony tried consoling.

"It would be easier if I were not," Daphne mumbled then leading her horse to go off away from her siblings.

Camilla having been behind them saw how Daphnes words effected their brother went right beside him. While she didn't agree with some of his antics she also knew he was just trying to find the best match for them.

"For what it's worth brother, I appreciate you looking out for us" Camilla sends over a reassuring smile.

"Thank you" Anthony smiled as well then motioned to keep up with Daphne.

━━━━━━♡♤♡━━━━━━

Ambitious mamas rejoice for the new Duke of Hastings continues to grace our fair city with his presence. And, oh, what an impressive presence it is!

This author wonders which brazen matchmaker shall rise to such a challenge, for this competition is well underway.

It has reached my ears that Mr. Colin Bridgerton shall be awarded the year's grand prize when he sweeps Miss Thompson off her pretty little slippered feet.

In other news, a most peculiar suitor for Miss Daphne Bridgerton has emerged.

"Miss Brigerton" Earl of James called out to Camilla making her halt at her spot as her sister Daphne continued to walk forward.

"Earl of James, How pleasant to see you again" Camilla bowed sending over a cheeky smile, while Camilla couldn't see a marriage coming out of this, she still managed to come closer to the gentleman over these past few days.

"We should get going to our box Camilla, Mama" Daphne called out frantic. Camilla looked up to look for whatever was causing this anxiety from her sister. Once she saw Lord Berbrooke she knew why her sister was so frantic.

"My apologies, Earl James, I hope to get to chat with you after" Camilla excused then was dragged by Daphne.

"Lady Bridgerton" Lady Danbury called out "Do join us."