𝟏𝟑. | '𝐶𝒉𝑎𝑛𝑔𝑒𝑠'

~One month later~

It's been a month. A long and full month.
Meredith had resumed her job at the hospital as chief, she needed it and it had been more than satisfactory. She hadn't heard from Nick, or rather she hadn't done anything to receive any news from him even she would have liked to hear him indeed. But he hadn't come forward either, so the situation was quite critical between those two.

Andrew continued to live with Maya, Carina and their baby. The two of them didn't mind him at all, indeed seeing him together with Andrea became the cutest thing ever in the world. The only downside and why they would have even kicked him out was that now having sex quietly had become more difficult. Yes, somehow he was always involved, but you can go on anyway.

However, by now everyone was aware of his situation, and they were also immensely happy not to lose him. Today he would finally go back to work in the hospital, he would start doing what he loved the most and relive his life.

“Grey-Sloan is a family, despite everything it has always remained” Webber said standing up on the stairs in front of all the staff, while Andrew was next to him. “And today we are very grateful to have back one of our best member” Andrew turned to him smiling, then everyone started to applaud. He looked at all of them with a very happy face. There were everyone, every person he cared about.

"I, umh, I don't know what else to say, I'm just happy to be here again..." Richard put a hand on his shoulder as they went down the stairs.

Andrew was already dressed in his dark blue scrubs, indeed they were very good on him.

"I wish you an awesome first day" Meredith's voice rang out behind him, making him turn to the woman who gave him a smile.

"Thank you chief" Andrew answered politely returning the smile.

Without holding back too long Meredith changed direction and headed for her office. She was happy for him, he was very good in his field, he cared about what he did and the hospital needed it. Of course before starting to operate he would assist to rehabilitate himself, but he would soon be able to take part in the best surgeries.

Her way of life seemed to have improved this month. Nick was giving her what she needed, space, even Amelia and Maggie no longer invaded the woman at her home, while her work cases became strangely more interesting. Of course it's never a good thing when someone is seriously injured, but if you're not a doctor you can't understand.

With perfect timing, an ambulance had already reached the trauma centre. Andrew, followed by another resident, reached the vehicle.

"Woman, 27, 34 weeks pregnant, fractured right humerus and right clavicle" paramedics carry her down the stretcher.

"Adams, I need you to call ortho and OB" Andrew told his resident who immediately had gone, as he gave a little check to the patient.

Link had already reached the room and later Jo joined too. Andrew looked at her a little surprised. Well he expected to find her sister and to have to prepare to put up with her on the first day of work, but instead she was the last person he ever expected to see that he remembered about her minding other things.

"You now work in OB?"

"Happy to see you too, you haven't missed just for a week DeLuca" she said. He was still a little surprised, but one day he will get used to these changes.

Meredith came by as soon as she could to see how he was doing. In fact, she was caring more than she should. She was due to have a surgery in a few minutes, so she walked by one last time. It was also her duty to make sure that Andrew didn't suddenly make some hasty choice that could put the patient's life at risk, but she also enjoyed seeing him work and putting as much passion into it as possible.

"We've been lucky" Amelia arrived next to her making her jump in fright.

"Yeah, we have" Meredith answered.

"But I'd recommend you to hide that dreamy smile when you look at whatever thing he's doing" she turned around Amelia suddenly.

"There isn't any dreamy smile, you perfectly know the situation, so please shut up"

Amelia raised her hands as a sign of innocence. "Okay, okay..."

"Now I'm going to have a surgery, so... see you later" she went away without adding anything else.

Amelia watched her walk away from her sighing and shaking her head slightly. Yes, she was aware of the whole situation, but unfortunately the body can't always handle the emotions. But she would still continue to respect her.

Her surgery had gone great, the patient was in the recovery room. Meredith was now wandering through the hospital corridors finding herself in front of the entrance to the gallery of room 3. There weren't many people, it was a simple caesarean, but she managed to spot Andrew watching intently. She decided to go inside and sat next to him, distracting him and getting all of his attention.

"Hi" she just waved at him.

"Hi. Why are you here?" she asked him curiously and with a slight hopeful tone as if he expected her to be for him.

"I've just finished a surgery, I was on my own for a while and thought I'd come see what's interesting here, after all I'm the chief. By the way, how's it going with your first patient?" she asked him smiling.

“Well, she just needed an emergency caesarius, Wilson's taking care of that” he explained.

"And what about you?"

He looked into her eyes before answering, giving a very sincere smile. "Yeah, I haven't felt like this since a long time" he continued to keep his gaze on hers.

She felt like she needed to break that contact, but those beautiful green eyes caught hers light blue, creating a contrast in which both could have lost themselves endlessly. But then she did it, she pulled her gaze back down, and he, having noticed she was in discomfort, humored her.

"So... I'm going to inform the family that everything is okay" said this Andrew got up to leave. It was a huge lie, Jo would decide when to inform the family, he had only done it for Meredith.

She was so sorry for interrupting that moment, she had felt something new, but somehow she knew it wasn't right.