9/6) William Gets a Sign from God

William had a four mile walk home from Riverview Retirement Center to his home at Donnelly Apartments in downtown Mount Airy. These days he did not mind walking because it gave him time to think. That was not true two months ago. He did everything then to avoid thinking.

Today he was thinking about Bernie. He was thinking about Bernie and how long he knew her and loved her. Did God put her back in his life? Did God forgive him? Did Raynie and Bethany forgive him? Did he deserve happiness again? In the past, he believed God led you where you needed to go. Was it time to move on? He knew Raynie would not want him to be forever sad. She would wish him happiness. It did not mean she and the baby would not always be with him. William would not forget them.

As he was thinking and walking, William decided to walk down to the walking trail by the Ararat River. It was peaceful when it was not crowded, and it was not crowded because it began drizzling. William wondered about God as he walked. If only, God would send him a sign he was forgiven, he could move on. If only he knew Raynie and Bethany were all right. What could be a sign from God by this river? It was so beautiful that everything was a sign from God. How would he even know it was a sign, if God sent one?

William saw something sticking out of the dirt beside the trail. It was a tiny hand. A doll's hand. A tiny hand reaching up to him. He tugged. He pulled her out. It was a tiny doll. He knew this doll, he had seen her before. She was Mermaid Kelly. She was dirty, but he recognized her in that outfit because Bethany owned this doll three times over. Hello Mermaid Kelly, good to see you again he said in his brain. And on this date, it did not matter to William that Rainbow Child Care took the kids to the river two days ago and some of the toys were left behind when they were buried and dug up and buried again. It did not matter that a mermaid doll at the river's edge made complete sense. It did not matter because as far as William was concerned, God sent this mermaid. God sent him a sign.

William looked up to Heaven and smiled. "Thank you," he shouted.

Rain came down harder. Soon, William was sloshy wet. He walked back to the road. He was hoping for a ride into town, but no one was stopping today. Usually he had a couple of offers, but the rain kept people from stopping. It was raining so hard William thought people could not see him. After a few more minutes and a lightning strike, a car he did not recognize pulled up and honked the horn. William was hesitant because the last time he took a ride with a stranger he ended up in a locked psych ward in Winston Salem for three days. The window rolled down and William was pleased to see he knew the driver.

"William, get in, I'll give you a ride." the driver said. William smiled and opened the door and got in.

Well, that was easy thought the Collector. He took William home. This time.

Author's Note: I was once so distraught with worry that I asked God for a sign that things would be alright in the end. I was, like William, on the side of the river and also thought - would I recognize a sign since everything in nature is a sign from God. But, like William, God sent me a sign that was undeniable.