{9} Day Eighteen

PLEASE READ:

This chapter is 3814 words long (7 full pages on Microsoft Word), everything is explained in the end note but I recommend that if you can't read lots in one go then you take it in sections, thought I would let you know! Plus the picture above is one I made myself on what I envisoned Clarke to look like in this chapter

CLARKE:

Slipping out of TonDC's high walls was an easy task, no one saw nor heard me which meant I could exit with ease. However, navigating through the dense forest as dusk fell upon Earth was harder than I had thought.

The Commander hadn't covered my eyes on the way from to river to the village, but I couldn't remember the way we had come, the looming trees and the leafy floor all looking the same no matter which way I turned.

I had, of course, been in the woods at night many times before but my head was buzzing with thoughts and my emotions were riding high, pushing anything useful to the back of my mind as I stormed amongst the trees.

When I had left the village, there were horse tracks leading out into the trees. I started to chase them as if they would disappear at any moment, the blood pumping in my veins like the times before Mt Weather. But the track soon went dead, as if the mud had swallowed it whole.

Since the loss of the trail, I had been wandering around, both enjoying my new found freedom but cursing the idea that I could actually succeed. I could've been walking in circles for all I knew, nothing looked familiar. Going back to TonDC wasn't an option worth considering. They had probably noticed I was missing anyway and I was sure Indra wanted my head on a spike, so I had to keep walking into the unknown.

The sun had just disappeared behind the outline of Mt Weather, dragging any feeling of hope I had left with it. My legs ached, my feet throbbed and my whole body shook slightly from the amount of movement I had subjected it too in the last couple of hours.

The sky had turned a rich blue as the moon shone its way through the darkness.

Winter was due any day, and it was only a matter of time before Mother Nature subjected me to her icy chills. The autumn wind blew through the branches and into secluded spaces that emitted a low whistle, sending a shiver over my spine. As a young girl, I had never been afraid of monsters in the dark, knowing monsters didn't live on a space station; on this forsaken planet I knew anything was possible and that there was more to fear than just stories.

Every step I took, it was taken with caution, and tip toeing across the fallen leaves as my senses wildly scanned the environment. But not well enough.

The ground disappeared from under me as my right ankle was dragged into the air, sending my head spinning as I panicked to escape the grip that was dangling me from the tree as if I were a piece of meat.

"Looks like we've got a live one..." a menacing shadow stepped out accompanied with an even more menacing tone. The stranger watched me fumble around in the air, laughing as I struggled. He was dressed in heavy clothing and carried a spear that was stained red at the tip.

"Please..." I was out of breath and shock was taking over my system, "I'm not a threat, I'm under the protection of the Commander... please..."

"She speaks the truth!" Another voice shouted as they too stepping into the space, a girl who could've been older than me with glossy black hair tied into a messy updo, braids weaving in and out of the hair. "Indra told me herself, you know how Heda treats traitors."

"And why should I trust you Anora?"

"Father please, I know this to be true."

He grunted as he cut the rope, my head hitting the ground first as I dropped to the floor. The girl helped me up, taking all my weight as she stood me on my feet. I brought my hand to the searing pain on my head, rubbing the warm, red blood in my fingers as my eyelids felt heavy and my mind was surrounded by clouds.