{6} Love is Dangerous

MAYA:

I was curled up on the small, sagging couch in our quarters reading a book that was in the Mt Weather Library. It was called Robin Hood and was easily my favourite. My father bounded through the door, shutting it behind him quickly and sitting next to me and pulling the book from the grasp. He was out of

breath slightly, and his hands kept twitching under pressure.

"Maya..." He breathed, taking my face into his hands before pulling me into a hug. "What have you done...?" The only thing he could be talking about was that I had helped Clarke escape, and the fact that he knew that made my heart jump slightly, knowing I could come to the same fate as my mother if anyone else knew. However, I had to pretend I hadn't the faintest idea what he was talking about.

"Dad, what's wrong?" I asked him, giving my sweetest smile and trying to ignore the butterflies that flew violently inside my stomach. I unattached myself from him and found that page I was last at in the ancient book, folding the corner down.

"It was you, wasn't it?" He asked, even though I couldn't see him from behind my hair as I looked at the book, I could feel his eyes burrowing into me and the hard look upon his face. I froze for a moment, placing the book back down on the table. I turned to him, looking into his hazel eyes that were filled with the fear that I hadn't seen since my mother had been shot.

"I have no idea what you're talking about." I quickly remarked, pushing myself up from the comfort of the couch and over towards the door. My heart was thumping, the sound of the blood pumping echoing in my head. I heard a shuffle behind me and then a firm grasp on my wrist as he pulled me away from the door.

"That girl has gone Maya. I know that you were speaking to her last night at dinner before you disappeared with her, and she hasn't been seen since..." He let my wrist go and wandered over to the jug of water that was on a shelf.

"Dad, I-"

"No. You know what happened to your mother after she tried to stop the transfusions. I know you want what is best, but you need to obey the laws Maya, you and I both know that all too well."

Suddenly, the overhead system flared into sound. It was only ever used in emergencies, but the voice of Cage spoke. His voice was like a venom that seeped into the corners of our quarters; he announced there was to be a whole population meeting in the Mess Hall and we had ten minutes to get there.

❂ ❂ ❂

My father and I slipped into the hall a few minutes before the meeting was to begin. All the tables had been pushed to the sides of the hall, making more space for people to stand. The room was packed with hundreds of Mt Weather inhabitants, and more spilling in as the minutes went on. We pushed through the crowd until we had got to the middle, craning over heads to see what was going on. The tight huddle created an unnaturally warm temperatures and the small chit chat added to the warmth was only making me feel more nervous. The room suddenly fell silent, the only noise was the shuffling of feet and an occasional cough.

"Hello. Friends, neighbours. I have a very special announcement to make. Today-"

A man shouted out from the back of the room, causing further commotion amongst the people. "Where's President Wallace?"

Cage shifted his weight, adjusting the collar on his suit jacket as he shot the man who spoke a look. "The old President has, shall we say... stepped down. Meaning it is my duty and responsibility as the new President Wallace that you are safe inside the walls of this mountain." He let out a breathy laugh as he let the crowd's whispers diminish. "As I was saying, today we have some people joining us. They are from the outside..." He registered the comments from the people in the crowd, his face falling into a fake smile.