{1} Distant Memories

CLARKE:

"What is this...?" I ask, looking at the faces that surrounded me.

I had no idea if my friends were alive or dead. No idea if we had won or lost the war... No idea if Bellamy Blake was still living and breathing the once fresh air.

"Clarke..." The old man started as he reached out to me before I snapped at him.

"Don't. I want to leave. Right now." I wrestled against the tight restraints, desperate not to spend one more moment in this room with all these people.

"Clarke, please. Let us explain." He tried again, a sad look coming across his face. I waited for a moment before tugging on the restraints again, screaming for help to anyone that would listen.

I wanted Bellamy to be listening. Just like he always did.

OCTAVIA:

I fell onto the floor, the warm grains filling my mouth and getting in my eyes.

"Giving up are we, Sky girl?" The mocking voice of Hollis echoed above me.

I waited for a moment, my face against the warm sand before I jumped up and grabbed Hollis' arm, pulling it behind his back and pushing him to the floor.

"Not yet Hollis, I'm waiting for you to crumble first!" I shouted down at him, glaring into his eyes as he squinted against the sun.

Hollis was my first friend I had made when Lincoln and I travelled to the coast. It was a long journey, and it almost killed us once or twice to get here... but we did, and everyone was welcoming, especially Hollis. I grabbed his arm and pulled him up to stand beside me as we both looked out onto the open sea, nothing but water then sky to meet our gazes.

I missed my brother, and Raven, Jasper and Monty. I even missed Clarke, I was still mourning over her inside... But I knew Bell would have the camp under control. Lincoln had assured me that if they stuck to the plan, they would've won the war... And I hope for Bellamy's sake they did.

I took in a deep breath, letting the tang of the salty air fill my lungs, I closed my eyes as the sun beat down onto my body, making the sand stick to me as if I were covered in the glucose syrup they used to use on The Ark.

"Octavia!" Someone behind me shouts, snapping me out of my moment of reflection.

I spun around to see Luna and Lincoln walking towards me.

Luna was leader of the Boat People. She was the most beautiful person I think I had ever seen in my life. She had bright blonde hair that contrasted against her tanned complexion, which seemed to be a common trait between these people as Hollis was exactly the same. Her eyes were a piercing green colour and she had long eyelashes which danced about when she blinked. She constantly wore a cropped shirt made from netting and a long skirt that flowed in the cool sea breeze.

"How is your training going?" Lincoln asked me, gesturing towards the boy next to me who was brushing the sand off his body.

"Great!" I smiled at him as I ran my hand through my hair.

Luna had accepted me and Lincoln as one of her own, and I soon began training and fighting like a Grounder. What was even better, is that Luna had asked me to become her second, training me for when we would go to battle with the tribe from the south, people who lived in something called a 'rain forest', not like the woods that Lincoln and I once called home.

"Hollis you may leave, Luca needs assistance with the fish. Go." She commanded as Hollis nodded and jogged towards a small hut along the beach. The way these people spoke was unlike anything I had heard before, the way the pronounced every letter with such power was fascinating.