Chapter 1

This is it. My very first day. My dad's old Chrysler minivan comes to a halt on the gravel road, just outside the huge hunter green building before me. I allow myself to smile, then look over at my dad, who nods encouragingly. He parks around back, and we step out of the car. I brush my already spotless tan jodhpurs with my hands, wanting to seem clean and ready when I walk into the building. A slightly darker hunter green polo covers my torso, with a black vest layered on top. The gravel crunches under my worn leather boots and hand-me-down half chaps as I cross the parking lot with confidence.

            The doors loom in front of me, a rather intimidating sight. My dad trails behind me, not quite knowing what to do. Obviously he's never been to a barn before. I clear my throat and pull the heavy wooden door open, and immediately the smell of hay and horses hit my nostrils. A grin crosses my face, I can't contain my excitement any longer.

            I walk cautiously down the hall, stables and a wash stall over here, a set of cross ties over there. I notice a blast of heat coming from a slightly ajar door, revealing a large heated tack room. I peek inside, despite my conscience telling me to keep walking. Inside, I see a mishmash of tack all over the place. English saddles, western saddles, bridles and halters, figure eight nose bands, a bucket of colorful crops, and boxes dotting the corners. They're most likely filled with riders own treats, crops, lead ropes, and riding gear of all sorts.

            I walk inside, unable to help myself, and let my fingers brush delicately over the sleek black leather of an expensive looking saddle. Shivers run up my spine as I do so. I notice something I hadn't before, an oddly shaped saddle, seemingly western, but I can't tell. I walk up to it and examine it carefully. Leather loops are placed around the exceptionally tall horn. The confusion clears my mind as I realize it's a trick saddle. I've seen many around before at circuses, acrobats performing risky stunts on horseback. I can't believe someone here is a trick rider. How neat!

            Once I've gotten enough of the tack room,  I step back into the hallway. I hear someone further down the hall, but it's not the voice I'm looking for. It's that of a man, he sounds like he just got back from a trail ride with a few friends. I hear the horses hooves before I see them, walking into the barn from an open door down the end of the hallway. The man gives me a wave and smiles, but turns his horse into a set of cross ties before he reaches me. His friends do the same.

            My dad still trails behind me, every now and then giving me a few encouraging words or a smile when I look back at him. I continue down the dimly-lit hallway, and finally hear a female voice, chatting away on the phone inside another doorway. I knock lightly, then push my way inside. The voice stops talking into the phone and looks at me. She's a blonde woman, most likely around her mid thirties or early forties. She had warm blue-grey eyes and a friendly smile as she looks me over.

            "Hold on Karen," she mouths into the phone. Returning her attention to me, she says, "Hi dear, can I help you with something? Are you a new leaser or boarder, need a tour, what is it?"

            "My name is Becky Marshall," I stammer, only part of my confidence coming through in my voice. Clearing my throat, I start again. "I'm here to meet Kristy Baker, the owner, about volunteering here." A feint light comes on in her eyes, and they sparkle as a huge grin spreads across her face.

            "Of course, of course!" She exclaims, glancing at the clock. "I'm Kristy, it's nice to meet you. Wow, it's five o'clock already. I could've sworn it was four thirty just a few minutes ago. Just give me a minute, sweetie, I'll be with you in a moment."

            Kristy resumes her conversation on the phone with Karen, and I relax a bit. She doesn't seem to be quite as uptight as I expected, owning a huge barn and all. Talking on the phone gives me a chance to observe her office, which is filled to the brim with random objects. Trophies and hundreds of colorful ribbons line the walls, from competitions years ago, dating back to the 80's. She couldn't have been more than ten years old when she began competing!