Angels, Ghosts, and Nightmares - Oh My!

Start from the beginning

Her uncle chuckled. "If only... But no. I assure you that this process - however strange - will help heal those wings of yours, though it will only work if you keep still. Okay?"

Wings?

Her mind hurdled back to when she'd been in the magical mausoleum, and thats when she remembered.

She hadn't died all all. She'd fainted after she'd seen her wings and realized that she might have been the monster - the one responsible for killing those girls.

Turning her head slightly, Galaxy could see both her wings now sandwiched beneath her body, the feathers splayed awkwardly about her like a starfish.

"Calm yourself," Rafe said, no doubt sensing her rising panic. "I can see now that your father sent you my way completely ignorant of everything, which I suppose is for the best given your family history. However, I can explain everything provided you remain calm. Can you do that?"

Her uncle looked down at her, waiting.

Galaxy nodded, not trusting herself to speak.

She'd come here for answers, and it was clear that her uncle had some - even if he'd for some reason decided to dump her body in a grave. The icy coldness felt like it was seeping into her flesh.

Her uncle glanced nervously at K9, and raised one of his hands to his bleeding cheek as if unsure whether her dog would permit him the opportunity to explain.

"Go on," Galaxy assured him. "K9 won't hurt you. I promise."

Unless you're an asshole again, she thought. Then he'll likely scratch the other side of your face, and I sure as hell won't stop him.

"That's a relief," Rafe said, before tossing something down to her. Galaxy craned her neck and was relieved to see that it was Uni The Unicorn; the travel companion her father had given her for her first plane trip alone.

"This...infernal, fluffy thing," Rafe said, looking down at the unicorn in disdain, "-was in your bag. I thought you might hold it as we talk? You're in a rather delicate state right now, and I'd hate to see your mind break."

It took a lot of effort, but Galaxy managed to lift one of her arms, enough to grab the infernal fluffy thing and hug it close to her chest.

"Am I the monster?" Galaxy asked, fearing the answer. It was possible she was wrong, but she had to know for sure.

Rafe was quiet for a moment, his face impassive. "What monster are you referring to?"

Galaxy frowned. "The one that burned down Albright. It's only been the number one story all over the news!"

She'd thought the monster had been following her all this time. But if the feather had been found at the crime scene and it had come from her wings....The evidence seemed to point more towards her being the killer.

Rafe sighed before answering her. "I don't concern myself with the news mortals watch. If you've lived as long as I have, you'd feel the same way. But to answer your question: no. You are not the monster, Galaxy."

"How do you know?"

Rafe smiled in amusement. "Because you wouldn't have been able to enter through the cemetery gate if you were one - even if you are a half-breed."

"I'm a what?" Galaxy snapped, her hands curling into fists. She couldn't move any of her limbs to actually attempt murdering her uncle, but that ended up not being a problem as K9 growled at Rafe, causing him to back away from her dog whose fangs were now in full view.