Chapter Five: Promises

(little tw for low self esteem here! <3)

-

"What do you mean, "you don't think you're okay"? Did you get hurt or something?" Seek asked when he heard the voice. He recognised it as Figure's, but he was confused.

"Will you... will you please come over here for a second?" He heard Figure stammer. Seek sighed. "Okay, okay, give me a sec..." He murmured, getting up, trying desperately not to hit his head again. "What do you need?" Seek asked in annoyance, following the sound of Figure's voice.

"Well, I found a mirror, and, uhm..." Figure stammered quietly, trying hard to find the right words to use. It was difficult.

He had just found a mirror, and looking into it, he was horrified. He hated the way he looked, everything about himself... he had never seen it before, and had never felt so... self-conscious.

"...I look scary. Ugly. Have I always looked this way, Seek?" Figure managed to ask. Seek instantly felt his heart sink. "What... you look fine, Figure!" He protested. Figure still sounded upset. "Friends say that, though... they don't always mean it. I just... didn't expect this, you know...?" He sighed.

"No, Figure, believe me. You're... you're pretty."

"...um, you're there, aren't you?"

Figure was a bit too stunned to speak. He didn't expect Seek to ever say something like that to him, as his arch-nemesis. "Yeah, I'm here." He said quickly, looking down at Seek. He felt his face go even redder than it already was. He could see Seek's face was red, too.

Gently, Figure wrapped his long arms around Seek, and Seek hugged him back.

They had never had a moment like this before...

"Figure, look... would I really give a scary ugly monster a hug?" Seek asked with a smile, separating from the other entity. There was silence for a moment, and Seek realised what he had just done – shown affection to Figure. Instantly, his heart rate quickened, and he started nodding his head. "Y-YEAH!" He cried. "Y-yeah, I damn would." He stammered, turning around and beginning to run away.

Seek could hear the clear sadness in Figure's voice as the tall entity called out to him: "Seek, wait... please... I know I'm scary, just please come back!!"

As much as it hurt... Seek ignored him.

-

"WOAH, WOAH COWBOY!! Slow down!! You're running around like a crazy drunk, calm down!" Jack shouted as Seek approached him at an alarming rate. Seek had been dashing blindly around the Hotel, just wanting to get as far away from the Library as possible. He didn't feel like he could go back, not at all.

"Oh, crap, sorry Jack." Seek stammered as he stumbled to a stop, right in front of the other entity. Jack sighed. "Okay, Seek. Now tell me, what the heck happened??" He demanded.

"It's a long story, but the short of it is, I need you to make sure no humans escape today. I won't be doing my job very well." Seek explained quickly, still a bit out of breath. "Alright, that's fine, I already do that anyways." Jack replied. "I'm still confused though, Seek. I mean, you're not even looking at me, you're looking at a wall right now. Dude, you're acting like you're literally blind!" He added with a laugh, as if the last thing he said was a joke. Seek chuckled nervously. "Uh, yeah... that's because I kind of... AM blind. At least for now." He stammered. Jack blinked at him, in sheer disbelief.

"...seriously?"

"LOOK, JACK, I DON'T KNOW WHAT HAPPENED EITHER!" Seek snapped, crossing his arms in frustration. He heard Jack laugh softly. "Eh, I've seen some stranger things around here. Hope you feel better soon!" He giggled.

There was silence for a while. Seek felt a lump forming in his throat, and Jack noticed his distress. "Hey, Seek... you okay? You don't look very... well." Jack asked, concerned. Seek took a deep breath, shaking his head. "No." He replied quietly, his voice shaky and uncertain. Jack frowned. "What's up?" He asked.

"Look, Jack... I have feelings for Figure. I know this might seem sudden, since I've literally hated him until now, but I can't help it. The problem is, I JUST told him he was ugly and scary and whatever the hell he said. I just agreed with him when he was self-conscious. I feel like an asshole... probably because I am one." He confessed, and even though he couldn't see, he was tearing up.

Jack was silent for a moment. "Seek, I..." He stammered, and sighed.

"...get some rest. I promise I won't tell anyone about your little secret..."

"...I promise..."