☾ ᴄʜᴀᴘᴛᴇʀ 11 ☼

|11|
Limits

I NEVER knew the depth of desperation until I opened that letter

I NEVER knew the depth of desperation until I opened that letter. All my thoughts hungered the answers to how many secrets will I get myself tangled in, and will it be worth chewing my absolute sanity?

However, that was my fallacy of grief talking, but I knew what my initial thought was:

What will I wear?

Days flew by and classes seemed irrelevant as I waited for another update from this so-called society to send me another clue—which they did.

It was finally Friday, and the first week of classes were over as I headed upstairs until the front desk called out to me.

"Miss Brown," the female clerk shouted my name, and I turned to the direction of the voice.

"Yes?"

"You had a package delivered to you during lunch block." The woman reached below her desk then placed a lengthy-long, black box that had a shiny red lace tied around it with a note.

Striding over to the desk, my face consumed with confusion. My parents didn't mention sending me anything over the phone yesterday.

It clicked as I saw the box up close.

It seemed dangerously romantic to a woman's eye that even the clerk thought it was a boyfriend that had sent it.

"Ms. Brown, tell your boyfriend that he cannot deliver such gifts like these, but personally-" The lady with heartily dimples leaned closer to me in a whisper, "I think it is romantic."

"Well Miss-" I look at her name tag, "Alicia, I do not have a boyfriend. What did the person that delivered this look like?"

Her hopeless romantic eyes dampened at my response, "It was the regular delivery guy. No one that isn't a student or staff can enter the building without notice from the head principal."

Interesting.

"Well, it looks like I have a secret admirer."

Grabbing the luxurious box from the desk, I made fast-paced strides up the stairs until I reached my dorm. I made sure to lock my bedroom door behind me. I felt like I was harboring an atomic bomb that wouldn't erupt until my command.

Unwrapping the red bow from the box, I grabbed the white note that had a cursive message decorated:

The color would look to-die for on you. There will be a car picking you up at 6 pm sharp.

Don't be late, Aaliyah.

-IF

My heart raced a beat with curiosity—not the childish anticipation of wanting to know, but the dreading of should I know.