Forty-Three

"Tell me about the last conversation you had with Bryce Walker," The Sheriff said to me, his expression serious. 

I had one serious conversation with Bryce, maybe weeks before the homecoming game. "The last time I saw him was the homecoming game," That wasn't a lie, I did say a few words to him there. So, that was a conversation, was it not?

"I've heard that you were angry at Bryce," He said to me, "Do you care to explain that?"

I shrugged my shoulders, "I wouldn't say that I was angry at him or that I am angry at him. I've been sad, disappointed. I think that's how I would explain it." 

He nodded at me, "I don't think you have any thing to do with him going missing," He told me flat out. "But, maybe you know something, someone you know may know something or had something to do with it, so, if you have anything to tell me; nobody will know that you gave me any information." 

"I don't know anything," I told him, which is true. I had no idea where Bryce was, why he is missing or what happened to him; if something did happen to him. 

"Okay," The sheriff said, "If you hear anything," He slid over a card with his number on it. "You can reach me here, my direct line."

--:::------::------------------->◇<--------------------::------:::---

"Dawn,"  Bryce said to me; we met at some house that was being built, blocks away from our houses.

When he had called me, I could tell he had been crying; he was upset and doing his best to hide it. So, there was part of me that found it hard to deny him at least one conversation. After knowing him for years, it didn't hurt to at least speak to him. 

"Hi, Bryce," I was nervous to meet him alone, but bringing anyone else, like Justin or Clay, even Tony- it would be a disaster and a fight. 

"Look, I'm really glad that you showed up," He said quietly, "I just needed someone to talk to, I need to air some shit out." 

I watched as he offered me a beer, which I quickly denied. "Uh- Look, I need to get home soon... My mom checks the Ring camera like every hour to see now... After Spring Fling," I sighed, "What's going on?" 

"I'm really sorry," Bryce apologized, "I am so sorry about the people I have hurt, if I've hurt you." 

I wasn't sure what I was supposed to say. There was part of me that wanted to forgive him and let that part of my life go, but the destruction that  was left behind him; it was unforgivable in a way. Knowing what he did to Jessica, knowing how he lied. "I wish I was able to say I forgive you," I was honest. 

"I've always respected how honest you are," Bryce admitted, "You have always been a good person- that is why I don't understand why you dated Monty out of all people. He is pure evil."

"I thought I understood him."

"I don't think you understand how terrible he is," Bryce told me. 

"Now I do... Bryce, I need to go."

"I know about Spring Fling," He then told me as I was getting ready to turn and leave, "What Tyler was going to do."

I felt my heart sink, "What?" 

"I saw you and Justin and Jessica run out the front doors, so I peaked out the side door. Saw Tyler waving that gun around- police interviewed me, of course. I am the rapist after all... I told them I didn't see anything."

"Thanks..."

"It's none of my business, really."

--:::------::------------------->◇<--------------------::------:::---