Chapter Twenty-Five

When a random Sans jumps into the battle and practically tackles Ink, Error immediately realizes what has happened. Soul has somehow wound up joining the battle. Error doesn't know if he's been here the whole time or has just recently come here. Either way, an unconscious Ink with Soul inside is plummeting down to the ground. Error throws himself into the air and reaches out with his strings to grab Ink. Error's strings usually tangle themselves up in Ink's ribs or shoulders without their usual target to grab on to. This time, Error grabs onto a soul.

Ink doesn't have enough of a soul to grab at or be brought into combat. He can't even be CHECKed. Error pauses for a moment and stares at the soul, falling through the air. Is this Soul's doing? Error doesn't have much time to think about it as the ground approaches. He yanks on his strings, pulling Ink up towards him. Error barley manages to snag Ink by the collar of his jacket. They're both still falling through the air. This is going to hurt. Error shoots out more strings with his free hand and grabs onto the web of strings that he had been fighting atop moments before. The strings go taunt, stretching with the force. Their fall slows, but there isn't enough room.

Error hits the ground hard enough to knock the air out of him. His strings snap and disperse as he loses focus. Ink lands partially on top of Error. Ink's paint brush had fallen to the ground as well and lays a few feet from them. Error shoves Ink off and stands up as he tries to recover his breath. Error aches all over. He's tried and hurts everywhere, not in the right mindset to think rationally.

The drastic shift in the two God's battle has not gone unnoticed. Error is tense as he finds many monsters entering the destruction zone. Ink is still unconscious. Vulnerable. It makes sense that the others might want to help him, but that is also Soul lying on the ground. Error won't let anyone take him. Pulling on his magic, Error creates a great wall of angled bones that forms a cone-like barrier around himself and Ink. Error adds more layers inside the first until he's crouched over Ink. Attacks hit the outside of the barrier and breaks down the bone. It is difficult to fix since Error can't see it.

The defense is only temporary, but it has given Error some time to think. It's worrisome that Soul fainted when jumping into Ink. Did Soul hit his limit for hosts? Error thinks that Soul should be smart enough keep himself in the fight. Error forces his thoughts to clam for a moment. He focuses on his magic and aura. He hasn't felt any bursts of Nightmare's magic for a while, and it's starting to worry him. Did they give in and leave the battle, or has something worse happened? Movement snaps Error out of his thoughts.

Ink abruptly groans and clutches at his head as he comes back to consciousness. He looks around in bleary confusion at the red barrier around them before slowly looking at Error. Ink's eyes are strangely fixed on a green diamond blue teardrop.

"SoUl? ArE yoU alRigHt?" Error asks. He's a little unsettled by Soul's silence and slow reactions. It should be a good sign that Error hasn't been attacked yet.

Ink looks around at the barrier again. Attacks slamming into the barrier can be heard from outside. "Take it down," Ink says quietly.

"WHat?"

"Take it down!"

Error finds himself doing exactly as Soul says. The barrier drops. Ink quickly scrambles to his feet and faces the crowd of monsters. He meets their stares with a steady presence. Ink stands between the crowd and Error. The other monsters are confused on what to do now that Ink is on his feet and not continuing to attack Error.

Ink's attention shifts away when the crowd is still. He looks over at his paintbrush lying a few feet away. Ink takes a step closer and picks it up. He runs one hand along the chipped surface. Ink turns, gripping the brush tightly in both hands, before he slams it into the ground with all of his strength. Monsters in the crowd gasp in shock. The brush only splinters with the first strike. Ink lifts it up and brings it back down again, this time snapping it completely in half. Ink is panting from the effort. He claws at the sash around his chest next. Ink tears it off and smashes it into the ground, breaking most of the vials of paint on the sash. The colors run together into an ugly shade in the dirt.