Chapter Seven

It was slow, terribly slow, but a strange friendship eventually forms between Error and Soul. It took Error months to even visit regularly. Even if it has been weeks since their last meeting, Soul would always be so happy to see Error. The God of Destruction was weirdly proud the first time Soul recognized him right away.

The rest of Soul's memory didn't improve much. He'd only remember the most basic details of who Error was. Soul would repeat conversations and ask Error questions about himself that the god had already answered. Error didn't mind it as much as he thought he would. He can't seem to disregard the strange monster. Error has had many allies over the years, but those that he really values are far and few inbetween. It's only in these last few years that Error has made any real friends. He decides to put his curiosity over Soul down to his other new friends softening him up.

The sheer number of AUs that Soul appears in is astounding. There is no pattern to where he'll end up. Error has found Soul in AUs such as Dancetale all the way to a Swapfell. In Lusttale, Soul tried to flirt with Error as soon as he arrived in the AU. Error didn't try to find Soul for a whole month after that. When they did meet again, Soul was nearly in tears while apologizing even though he couldn't remember what he was apologizing for or what Error's name was.

The only thing that really annoyed Error was how stubborn Soul could be. It takes a lot of coaxing for him to do anything that changes that AU's outcome. Soul has cut their meetings short multiple times to go get himself killed in the judgment hall. He always seems to forget that he's done it twice already. Without fail, Soul always appears in an AU's genocide route or its equivalent. Error is starting to dislike watching.

Error is confused one day when he tracks Soul to a Bitty AU. This world doesn't have resets or a genocide route. The Destroyer of Worlds is a little relieved for that. Error starts to approach the front doors to the pet store, but stops after he feels Soul's magic call out to him again. Weird. Error gives the front doors one more scrutinizing glance before turning and walking along the side of the building. Sure enough, there's a side door. Error simply breaks off the doorknob when he finds it to be locked. The door opens up to the store's backroom. Across from the doorway, there's a glass terrarium with a Bitty inside that's staring at Error like he just saved the world. Soul is getting unnervingly good at telling Error where to go. The store owners wouldn't have let him in the back.

"Error!" the small Bitty squeals, his eyes lit up with stars.

No one else in the Multiverse greets the Destroyer like that, so Error tries to make his scowl a little less unfriendly. "When diD you get HeRe, Soul? This is a prEtty wEird one to enD up in."

Soul woke up hours ago as a BabyBlue Bitty. The little blue bandana around his neck is accompanied by the lighter blue jumper he's wearing. His boots are oversized, and his high pitched voice slurs slightly in a manufactured way that's meant to be 'cute'. Soul feels a little weird in this tiny body. His thoughts are blurry, and he can't think like he normally does. It's hard to focus on anything at all besides the fact that Error is here now! When Error walks into the room and looks down in the terrarium, BabyBlue cranes his neck up and trips over his boots before falling back on his butt.

"So big!" Is all BabyBlue replies with. He doesn't quite understand what Error's asking. There is so much more he wants to say, but the words are hard to think of.

"YoU miGht actUallY get a peaCful day here. No GenoCidEs," Error says casually, overlooking that fact that Soul forgot who he was again.

Genocide. Soul remembers now, and the stars in his eyes dim. He's been to Bitty AUs before. "A robbery," Soul wines sadly, covering his face. He tries his best to convey what he wants to say. "Guns. Through the store. Knock over. Sharp glass." Soul can remember what it was like to be pierced by all those shards when he gets thrown into the pile of glass. Error shifts on his feet, and Soul looks up, distracted. That's all it takes. BabyBlue perks up, ecstatic to have company. He's in quarantine from the other Bitties.

If Error wasn't the Destroyer of Worlds, he might have been sickened at the idea of such a gruesome scene. He's just annoyed as it is. Soul knows that's coming, as just gonna take it? "FuCk thAt," Error mutters under his breath. He raises his voice then to address Soul. "Do yoU wanNa see somethIng fun? We can leavE righT now." Soul has never once accepted Error's invitation to leave an AU, but Soul can't exactly think straight at the moment, and Error's counting one that. He's not above manipulation.

"Fun?" BabyBlue perks up. Fun and love is all he ever wants from his person. Is Error his person? Soul briefly composes himself. No, Error's not his person. Error is Soul's best and only friend. Forever and forever. The cloudy thoughts roll back in, and BabyBlue struggles to remember what he was just thinking about.

"YEs. Fun. LeT'S go," Error says, not asking this time. BabyBlue nods eagerly with some excited squeal escaping the back of his throat. He stands back up, reaching out his arms to be picked up.

Error hesitates. After all this time, he still hasn't touched Soul. He hates contact with anyone. There's only ever been one monster that Error could stand, and they aren't around anymore. Soul isn't deterred by the hesitance. He keeps his arms up, an excited grin plastered on his face. Error has come to appreciate that smile no matter the body. Slowly, Error reaches his hand into the terrarium.

"Hug!" Soul shouts happily. He practically pounces on Error's hand before the other can properly grab him. Error tenses at the small body squeezing his fingers. He waits for the glitches, for the painful crash, but nothing comes. An entire minute of nothing passes. Error eventually shifts his hand to cup Soul and lift him out of the terrarium.

Soul blinks a few times, suddenly distracted from his contentment. He's not supposed to be going anywhere. "Wait-"

"TOo laTe," Error cuts him off. He opens a portal right in the store's backroom and steps through before Soul can protest further.

Soul becomes speechless as he sees the AU they enter. Millions and millions of stars decorate the night sky. They form shapes, animals, and all manner of patterns as they stretch across the dark expanse above. The Outertale cliff that Error has portaled to is empty and quiet. When Soul says nothing, the Destroyer of Worlds becomes a little self conscious.

"Don'T yOu liK it?" Error finally asks. This his favorite AU, after all. He might just chuck Soul into the void if the other hates this place. Soul would just pop back up somewhere else. Probably.

"So pretty!" Soul chirps. He finally tears his eyes away from the stars to look at Error. "I like this one. Open. No walls. So pretty......". Soul has been here before, of course. He assumes that he's been everywhere by now. As an Outertale Sans, he loves to include the AU's pockets of low gravity in his fight in the final corridor.

Despite Soul's difficultly forming the words, Error can easily tell when Soul is feeling like himself. It seems to be easier for him outside of BittyTale. Error's hand is starting to itch with the physical contact. He's not used to it anymore. Before it can become any more uncomfortable, Error pulls off his scarf. He pools it on the ground and slides Soul off of his hand to land in the fabric. Soul squeaks in surprise when he's dumped, but settles down in the soft material. Error sits down next to the bundle.

Neither of the two speak as they stargaze. Even Soul is silent for once. Error has become use to the other's endless chatter. He might even appreciate it when Error himself has nothing to say. Conversation is difficult for him. This is why the Destroyer is surprised when he breaks the peaceful silence first.

"I havEn't gotten tO cOme here in a LOng time," Error mumbles just loud enough to be heard, "Even lonGer sinCe I came wiTh someoNe."

"Why?" Soul asks.

Error gives Soul a questioning look. "You do rEmEmber that I desTroy whoLe Worlds, right? Those who don'T hate me wouLd......... laugh if theY knEw I likEd stars." Oddly enough, Error doesn't feel as uncomfortable as he should when saying this.

"I know," Soul points out. "Won't laugh."

"........... thaNks," is all Error says.

The two lapse back into silence, watching the stars glimmer through the dark.