Chapter Eighteen

"Wait. So Ink and the council knew what condition your AU was in, even before you knew about the Multiverse, and they did nothing?" Soul asks with a frown. "That can't be right. It shouldn't be like that."

"Scared. Or ap-....... ap-thet-ic," Horror has to really think to get the word out. He was surprised when Soul didn't seem to mind the extra time that Horror needs for some words.

"Apathetic," Soul kindly pronounces the word before continuing. "There's no way everyone just wouldn't care! How could they let an entire AU starve?"

"Ink. Can't inter-....... inter.... fear," Horror tries to explain.

"Good job," Soul praises in a brighter tone before he returns to sulking. "Ink doesn't want people changing the story........." In a quieter voice, Soul mumbles, "It's just your fate."

The two of them have been preoccupied in the kitchen for a couple hours now. Soul is a little bummed out that he can't touch anything or help, but Horror has been keeping him involved. Soul loves learning about new places and people. In a slightly creepy way, he likes learning about why people have certain behaviors and act the way that they do. This is the first time that Soul really feels like himself. If he's not looking for it, Soul can't even feel or remember anything that doesn't belong to him.

Horror is an interesting person to get to know. He's rough around the edges and generally intimidating, but he's not a real monster like some of Soul's previous hosts would say. Horror isn't very good at expressing himself in words. His actions are much clearer. Horror may have failed has brother, but now he has an almost compulsory need to look after the few left around him. Horror makes sure that there is always something in the fridge and cupboards, even if it's only mildly edible. He won't let anyone go hungry and secretly delights in watching meals disappear from the fridge.

Horror tries, but he's not a very good cook. His AU didn't offer many chances to experiment with ingredients. Even now, Horror swipes whatever random food he can find from AUs that Nightmare has decided to terrorize. Practice makes........ better.

Fortunately, Soul is a bit of an encyclopedia at the moment. He can come up with half a dozen ways to cook almost anything that Horror pulls out of the fridge or cupboards. After a couple of hours, all three of the ovens are going, multiple pots are dubiously bubbling on the stove, and there's even some sort of strange salad on the counter. Horror has never cooked with anyone before. He takes to Soul ideas readily and tries to write them down.

Cross is eventually lured in by the smell of warm chocolate. The last thing he wants to do is get involved in conversation when there are sweet treats to be had. Cross carefully scans the battlefield from the shadows in the hallway. Soul is sitting the on the kitchen counter, swinging his feet while chatting. Horror looks back at Soul every other minute while dutifully following instructions to manage the last few cooking dishes.

Two trays of cookies are cooling on the counter. The last time that Cross ate a cookie was quite a few months ago when Nightmare was convinced to raid a Candytale AU. Horror isn't a big fan of sweets, and doesn't usually bother trying to find the ingredients to make them. Cross's senses zero in on the rare treat. His eyes seem to gleam in the darkness. While Soul and Horror seem to be distracted, Cross makes his move. He  slowly and silently creeps into the room. He stays low to the ground makes sure that his clothing doesn't brush up against anything. Cross used to be a member of the royal guard in his AU. He's been trained for missions like this, and his skills have only improved under Nightmare's supervision. He should have been undetectable. Right under the counter now, Cross slowly reaches up to snag a cookie off the tray.

"You could've just asked," Soul hums, his voice abruptly appearing right in Cross's ear. Cross yelps in surprise. He jerks upward and slams his head into the edge of the counter. Horror isn't able to completely stifle the growl that slips from his mouth, surprised at Cross's sudden appearance.