Chapter 34

Tris P.O.V.

"So, what are we supposed to do? Just kind of pose here until someone gets the hint and takes a picture?" I ask. Tobias shakes his head and chuckles.

"I don't think so. I think we should just do ahead and act natural and maybe they'll think it would be a good shot," Tobias replies. I nod and tighten my grip on Lucas's hand as we walk up the steps to the board walk. We figured that if we needed attention, why not have an outing that would be fun. So, Tobias mentioned something about mini golf and then Lucas heard that and now we're here.

"You know, when people say act natural they end up in their most unnatural state," I comment. Tobias chuckles and looks down at me.

"Well, I'm sure the press would love pictures of you looking unnatural. . . I mean, who wouldn't want to see zombie you?" Tobias asks. I roll my eyes and begin to lead the way down the pier to the mini golf place.

"I didn't mean that type of unnatural, stupid," I mutter. Lucas gasps and looks up at me.

"Mommy, you said stupid is not a nice word!" he says. I shake my head.

"It isn't. I shouldn't have said that word," I say. He shakes his head and points at Tobias.

"No. Now tell daddy that you're sorry," Lucas says. I turn to look at Tobias.

"I'm sorry," I say in a voice that sounds irritated. Tobias sticks out his tongue at me and I roll my eyes before turning back to Lucas to say, "Mr. Four stuck out his tongue at me!" Lucas shakes his head.

"No tattle tailing, Missy," he says. I gasp. He turns his face away from me and towards the little shack that serves as the office for the mini golf place.

"I guess he told you," Tobias mutters. I smack him on the arm and he pretends to grab it like it hurt. I laugh and we finish the walk to the mini gold place in silence. When we walk in, the girl at the desk just stares at us for a minute and smacks the gum in her mouth loudly. Finally, she asked what we needed and Tobias told her we wanted to play. In a few minutes, we had three golf clubs and three balls painted different colors.

"Me first!" Lucas declares as we walk up to the little strip of grass. He sits the powder blue ball down and gets ready to hit. Right before he hits it, Tobias says:

"Don't mess up!" Lucas hits it at an awkward angle and it moves a few feet to the right of the hole.

"Not fair! I wanna do it again!" Lucas cries. Tobias shakes his head and sits down his green ball, aiming it at the hole.

"No can do, little man," Tobias says. He pulls back the gold club a few inches and gets ready to swing.

"Don't mess up!" Lucas and I say at the same time. We both giggle as we watch Tobias's gold ball go even further away from the hole than Lucas's.

"No fair! I want a redo!" Tobias protests. I shake my head.

"Sorry, but I'm afraid that just isn't possible," I tell him before stepping up and placing my purple ball on the ground. I move my golf club a few inches back and before either of them can mess me up, I lightly hit it. It moves smoothly down the strip of grass and right into the hole.

"That isn't even right! I think you cheated!" Tobias declares. Lucas nods in agreement. I shake my head.

"If anything good came out of dating Al it was my new and improved mini golf skills," I tell them. They both shake their heads. Lucas walks over to his ball and gets ready to hit it. I pull out my phone and quickly snap a picture. I guess it will be going on Instagram later. In two more shots Lucas has made it in the hole and Tobias gets it in in four. We record our numbers and move on to the next hole.

Lucas steps up and makes a crooked shot. It slides over one of the little hills in the strip of grass and it gets directed closer to the hole but it is still pretty far away. He frowns but doesn't say anything. Tobias goes next and hits it straighter, stopping a few inches away from the hole. "Beat that," he mumbles to me as I walk up. I smile up at him.

"I will," I say. I hit the ball and it just barely misses the hole. The hole wasn't my target, though. I went just between Tobias's and the hole. My ball hits his, causing it to bounce back next to Lucas's.

"That isn't fair!" Tobias protests. I stick out my tongue at him. Lucas shakes his head.

"Mommy, that wasn't nice," he scolds me. I smile down at him.

"I know, Lucas. But sometimes I'm allowed to do not nice things," I say. He moves his head to the side.

"Really?" he asks. I nod. He shrugs and walks up to green. He hits his ball. It goes into the hole. Along the way, it hits mine so it is a little further away from the hole.

"Haha, mommy!" Lucas says. I shake my head.

"That isn't fair!" I mock Tobias. Tobias scrunches up his nose and shakes his face. I roll my eyes and he walks back to his ball. He makes it in. Then, I go and make it in.

While we record our scores, Lucas walks over to the edge of the pier and looks down between the space in the railing. His points below and looks back at us. "Mommy, daddy, look! Fishies!" he says. We nod. He turns back to the fish in the water below. Tobias leans closer so his mouth is right next to my ear.

"We made that," he whispers in my ear. I nod and smile up at him.

"We did, didn't we?" I whisper back.

I really enjoyed writing this chapter. Like, it took me forever to come up with the idea for it, but once I did I kinda fell in love with it. Please comment and vote!

Disclaimer: Veronica Ross owns Divergent. I donut.