Nova and I nod as we stand silently. Hecate glances our way, I can feel the worry in her stare. I find myself filled with worry as well, but I do my best to push the feeling away as I know we truly have no choice but to obey.

" You may leave now. " Odys orders

Nova begins walking towards the exit as I accompany her outside, just as Odys said two guards obediently stand right outside the doors.

"Let's go." one of the guards says as they both begin making their way toward the gates.

I patiently wait for Nova to say anything but she stays silent. It doesn't take long for us to arrive at the gates as one of the guards whistles causing the gates to slowly open.

" You're coming with me. " One of the guards says as they take my arm guiding me to a horse while Nova is guided by the other guard to a horse of their own.

Nova and I look back at each other as I wonder if her nerves are running as wild as mine. She gives me a small smile and nods, reassuring me everything will be okay. I take a deep breath as the guard helps me on top of our horse.

" Close the gates! " the guard shouts, we begin making our way through the cursed forest as Nova follows closely behind.

After a while, I notice the cursed forest seems larger than it used to feel, it's as if the decay has spread even further than before. I realize I have no idea where we are heading. I try to take in my surroundings but the view begins blending together feeling as if we've been traveling in circles.

" Where are we going? " I ask the guard as politely as I can.

" I'd try to get some rest, we are an hour or so away, it'll make the time go by faster." The guard replies.

I laugh to myself thinking how foolish resting would be at a time like this as if I trust these guards at all, or Odys for that matter.

After being consumed in the cursed forest for what feels like an eternity, the scenery around us begins to change. Dirt... nothing but miles and miles of flat land it seems, not a single tree to be seen beside the rotting ones we just left behind us.

I notice my chest begins to tighten with the fear of not knowing where we are, I look behind me to see Nova sharing a similar expression to my own as she looks around equally confused. We ride for a little longer before I notice what looks to be a camp in the distance.

As we arrive at the camp I notice twenty tents if not more are pitched in a row with weapons and guards littering the area. The guards come to a stop near a post as they quickly hop off their horses tying their reigns to the post.

"Let's go. " The guard commands as they hold out their hand, I reluctantly take the gesture as I climb off the horse.

Nova and her guard catch up with us as Nova and I are stopped in our tracks by the guards.

" Your job is to choose two trainees to be sent to Marrow to officially become a guard. We don't care who you choose, just make sure they can fight." One of the guards command

Suddenly crowds of children make their way out of the tents as a random guard orders them to begin training, each child chooses a weapon before beginning their battles. The guards watching over Nova and I disappear into the crowd before we are left standing alone surrounded by children hurdling weapons at each other.

I stand frozen in place as I watch these children training... training to kill one another, I begin to feel overwhelmed.

" Let's just do what we have to do so we can make it back in time." Nova says somberly