Chapter 14: Fair maiden

I woke up the next morning to Gwen's angelic face looking back at me. She looked very dishevelled but happy and content.
"Good morning sleepy head" she said, leaning on her arm. Who knows how long she had been watching me snooze.
"Good morning, fair maiden" I replied. She giggled and scrunched her nose in the most adorable way.
"Gwen, last night was...phenomenal" I said, still a little dazed.
"It was my love" she stroked my cheek and I held on to her hand as she did, savouring her touch.
She put her head on my chest and cuddled me. We lay there in silence. Neither of us wanted this to end but we agreed it had to. For now though we just wanted to hold each other, cherishing every moment of our last few hours together.

We eventually tore ourselves away from the bed and while I was in the shower she ordered room service for us. Eggs Benedict, my favourite breakfast!
"That was delicious!" I said when I finished, wiping my mouth with the napkin.
"I couldn't let you leave on an empty stomach" she said, hearing the word 'leave' was painful.
"Do you have to go soon?" she said softly, reading the glum look on my face.
I just nodded and her expression reflected mine. Reality was creeping up on us, if I didn't leave soon I never would.

I put my shoes on then my jacket and bag, Gwen watched me the entire time not knowing what to do with herself. Her awkwardness was quite endearing. She jumped at her phone when Frank called to say he was waiting outside to take me home. This was it.
I took a deep breath, "I don't want to say too much Gwen because I'll start crying and you probably will too. I just want to say thank you, especially for making me feel beautiful. I'll never forget you or this time we had. I hope you have a happy life and find true love, you deserve it". My voice shook on every word as I held back a river of tears. I looked at her face one last time, taking in every single feature then opened the door.
"Wait!" she shouted and I turned, "I've already found my true love...you".
"What?"
"I...I think I love you Jo".
I was frozen on the spot with my mouth hanging open.
"Gwen I...we...we said..." I stuttered.
"I know! But I can't let you leave without telling you. You mean the world to me Jo. I love you and I know you love me too".
That last part struck a chord in me. I wanted to shut the door, throw my arms around her and kiss her until she couldn't breathe.
"It doesn't matter how I feel. We agreed that this won't work so we're saving ourselves the heartache now" I explained.
"Our hearts will ache more without each other" she said and I hated to admit that she was right.
"We can't...I'm sorry Gwen. If you do love me, then let me go".
She closed her eyes and swallowed hard. Then nodded slowly.
"Goodbye Gwen" I choked.
"I love you too" I said in my head as the door closed behind me.