Chapter 10

"Operation Break-up phase one is enacted," Lilly whispered, nudging me in the side. I grunted and swung my leg over another branch of the tree we were perched in. She'd decided that spying on my brother and his fiancee was the easiest way to go about breaking them up, but honestly, I didn't think so. I didn't think any part of this was a good idea, the main reason being that he was my brother and Lilly was trying to coerce me into breaking Julie and him up. Yeah, I wasn't on board, but I couldn't let her spy on him alone, that was a ridiculous idea. So here I was, sitting in a tree with my best friend, watching my brother and Julie sitting on the front lawn of the pack house, talking.

"Werewolves?" Julie whispered, her wavy brown locks swaying with the breeze. "You're telling me that werewolves are real?" Her voice was soft, but that was natural for Julie, she was a soft natured person.

"Lilly, I don't think we should be doing this. I mean, seriously? He's my brother and he's telling his fiancee about the existence of werewolves and we're spying on them. I don't like this, I don't like it at all." I hissed, snatching the black crusted binoculars from her hands.

"Just think about Leslie for a second! She deserves to be with her mate just like the rest of us. She was in love with Lance and-"

I growled, clenching my fist. "I understand that we promised we'd drop everything she tried to do and I've forgiven her, but please don't mention the fact that she was in love with Lance. He's mine."

Lilly rolled her eyes, "Sarah, seriously."

I groaned. "I'm not denying the fact that I think she deserves to be happy, Lil. But
Michael is my brother and if Julie makes him happy, who am I to break him up? Besides, Michael and Leslie have already met so I'm betting that he already knows Lilly is his mate and he hasn't acted on it."

"Sarah! Leslie is you friend! We have to help her." Lilly insisted, lowering her voice a fraction of an inch.

"And Michael is my brother," I muttered back, refusing to go along with this plan.

"You remember how you felt when Lance was with Jane, right? How that longing seeped into your soul and refused to let you go? You remember how much you wanted to be with him and yet you couldn't because he was so stubborn, right?"

I shook my head, "that's different."

"No, Sarah, It isn't different. That's called a mating bond and it's not something you just play around with. When two people are meant to be together, you can't break them apart. You of all people should know this."

I nodded and glanced down to see Michael and Julie still discussing the principle of werewolves, thinking about what Lilly was saying. She was right, of course. Leslie and Michael were meant to be together and no matter how hard either of them tried, they wouldn't be able to break that bond with each other. But this was still my brother we were talking about and for me to meddle in his relationship was absolutely absurd.

"This is insane, I don't agree with this, and I will most definitely deny any of this if Michael-"

Lilly squealed, "so your in?"

I sighed, reluctantly. "I'm in."

"Finally! Now what should we do first? Dig up some information on Julie? Or should we start with your brother? Oooh! I know, you could talk to your brother about it. You could discuss Leslie with him, tell him about how great of a person she is. Tell-"

"Lilly! I'm not talking to my brother about Leslie! I-"

My phone buzzing in my pocket cut my sentence short and I pulled it out to look at it. I smiled when I saw Lance's name flashing across the screen.

Had to take care of some pack business. See you for lunch. Love you.-Lance.

I smiled and replied a short response and then turned my attention back to my best friend. "Okay, I'll do it. On one condition."

"What is it? Anything!" Lilly whisper yelled, her eyes lighting up with excitement.

"Nathan. You are going to go out to lunch with him this afternoon and have a serious talk with him. No buts! Don't look at me like that, Lilly. You were just telling me how important it was for soulmates to be together....."

Lilly sighed and looked away, staring off into the distance. "I just don't understand what he's keeping from me. I don't know why he's deciding that whatever it is he can't tell me, is something I don't need to know. We're supposed to have trust in a relationship, you know? And he's obviously not trusting me."

"Lil, look. Whatever the reason is, you and him can work it out." I smiled at her reassuringly and she gave me a small, hesitant smile back.

So not only was I on a mission to get my brother and Leslie together, I was on a mission to get my two best friends back together.
____

"I don't know if I'm ready to actually meet them Lance. I want to meet my real parents, but.... I just..... I don't know. It's hard to explain." I  moved my fork absentmindedly back and forth across the cheese ravioli that I was eating.

Lance touched my arm gently, forcing me to look up at him. His blue orbs were intently focused on my own and I found myself getting lost in the depths of his eyes, just like I always had. "Baby, you know I love you and I'll go with you when you meet them, that you should have no doubt of. Do you not want to meet them? I don't want to force you to do something you're not comfortable doing."

I shook my head, "of course I want to meet them. I want that more than anything, it's just, I don't understand anything that happened. My biological parents don't know where I am and the man I thought was my father...... Is a kidnapper, Lance. A kidnapper. And Claire.... She's my sister."

Lance nodded, running his fingers up and down my arm. "I know it's a lot to take in sweetheart, but aren't you the least bit curious. Your parents can probably explain a lot more to you then Michael or I can. They can answer any questions that you have."

I nodded in understanding. He was right. They could answer all of my unsaid questions and I needed answers to them. Lance and Michael had given me all of the information they could and I'd moved out immediately. I couldn't live with those people who claimed to be my parents. Lance had stood by me of course, even when my 'mother' tried to keep me there.

That was the hardest part, because no matter how much I wanted to convince myself that she wasn't my mother, she was in every aspect of the concept. She'd raised me, loved me, and given me a home. I loved her and I always would, but she'd lied to me. She'd gone along with his plot to kidnap me and Michael and I couldn't accept that.

"Okay," I agreed, looking at him. "I'll meet them. But how do we even go about doing this? All I have is their names."